First Timer - Little Moe All Nighter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ct_525

Aug 23, 2022
Western CT
Hi all,

I recently purchased a house and it has a oil furnace as well as a wood stove in the basement. The stove is a All Nighter Little Moe. With oil being pricey, I would like to heat with wood this winter and thinking the stove should be sufficient for my ~850sq ft. I’ve never heated with wood before, but I’m excited by the opportunity to try it out.

The stove has a bunch of firebrick that is cracked/broken and I’m looking for advice on where best to buy new brick? I saw Tractor Supply Co. has seemingly decent fire bricks for $3.99 each, but have no clue of that is too expensive or reasonable? Also wondering where a good place to get fire rope to re-do the door seal?

I’ve read the Little Moe stoves are not very efficient and I’m considering getting a power blower for it. Does anyone have recommendations on where to find an adequate blower?

Thanks you for any help.

4A9B5543-87A0-433E-A5C8-DB22510A59E8.jpeg 1F8A988C-6332-4499-BDFB-431C0D3E40C3.jpeg

It's not efficient by today's standards. A baffle would help a bit, so would adding a generic blower.

Reactions: ct_525
Nice. I had a mid-moe and it does pump out the heat, but also goes through a ton of wood.

Learn how to make a fire...., Seriously!!! Stacking wood in the stove etc, so it gets going without smoke, puff-back / blow-back into the house (really sucks) Info on this site if you search.

Get a couple of magnetic wood stove thermometers. One for the stove, and one about 12'' inches up on the flue pipe.

Baffle is a possibility, also search this site. It's been done and explained.

I've found it took work to get going. I'd open up the draft vent on the door and kept the door open about an inch to start. You'll adjust the vent a number of turns depending on the thermometer on the flue once the fire got going. Monitor the temp of the stove so you know how much wood you'll need and adjust the vent accordingly etc. Don't expect it to go all night despite it's name.
The worst thing you can do is trying to get length (time) out of your burn by decreasing the air intake. It'll just build up creosote in your pipes and smoke out your neighbors.

Get it hot, get it up to temp, and if it needs more, feed it. Definitely get a blower, you'll get so so so much heat out of it. When I first got mine I did a quick DIY blower with a Muffler adapter to Muffler flex pipe with a high powered hair dryer on cool. It did the job until I got the correct parts.

Good luck.

I would say your brick is not the worst yet. Id just run with it as is, the little moes are the absolute worst to get old brick out of. And be careful of the asbestos mat under the bricks on the bottom.

As far as blower, I recommend This one to people who call the shop and ask about finding one, its not perfect but it works well. Just need to get a hose for it.

I would say your brick is not the worst yet. Id just run with it as is, the little moes are the absolute worst to get old brick out of. And be careful of the asbestos mat under the bricks on the bottom.

As far as blower, I recommend This one to people who call the shop and ask about finding one, its not perfect but it works well. Just need to get a hose for it.
What size flex piping should I buy to connect to this?