First timer questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LogMan

Dec 8, 2020
Massachusetts
I have an 1899 wood stove I am putting it an out building- new construction. The oval coming out of the stove is 8 inch. Can I reduce it to six as I go out a sidewall? I can't find it in the NFPA code book. Its just for occasional man cave use. Also is the chimney required to be double walled pipe?

What are the actual dimensions of the oval flue collar? If the stove is designed for 8" stove pipe then that is what should be used, but if it is just 8" in the widest dimension then it could be that 6" is sufficient. The chimney pipe must be class A high-temp. Stove pipe can only be used in the room. The wall penetration will need a proper class A thimble through which the stub off of the outdoor tee will pass into the room.