First Two Stage Electric Snowblower I have seen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH

Looks pretty impressive, all the electric snowblowers I have seen to date are way too small for the type of snowblowing I need to do. I like that the battery packs are removable and modular, no doubt I would need a few spares for my longer than normal driveway plus I could keep the batteries warm in my house. I expect the drivetrain is potentially simpler. I think new IC engines bans are going to start popping up so at least there is an option.

Nice to see that one manufacturer is going for this market. I have a fairly new track drive 13HP Honda that I expect to run for long time so I hope I will not be in the market that soon for replacement;)

Reactions: Solarguy3500
This is the only other battery powered snowblower I've found that looks comparable.

That Toro unit looks like a serious machine.

Just last night I was looking at blowers and saw that Honda has a hybrid blower that I believe is a new model. Didn't scrutinize the model because the price stopped me dead. It's a big machine with a lot of options that, for my location, use and storage space, spells nightmare failures due to freeze ups.

Just last night I was looking at blowers and saw that Honda has a hybrid blower that I believe is a new model. Didn't scrutinize the model because the price stopped me dead. It's a big machine with a lot of options that, for my location, use and storage space, spells nightmare failures due to freeze ups
If you look at the specs on the hybrid Honda, it is commercial rig, the tons per hour rating is double my 1332 which is a commercial rig. I would guess the hybrid is a replacement for small tractor loader. If the hybrid is as well built as my 1332, complexity should not be an issue as they are overbuilt for homeowner use.

If I didn't already own a two stage blower I would be interested.

Same here. My 20yo 5hp gas still has plenty of life left. The Ego electric mower has been great! Itll be nice this spring not having to worry if I remembered to run it dry, change oil, varnish in the carb, etc. Will only have to worry about the blades and maybe not even that.

My guess is the new series of Lithium cells with deeper charge capacity will be nipping at the heels of moderate gas units in few years. I am not so sure they are ready yet for real snow conditions like my Honda.

Be nice if they used 100ah Standard sized battery instead of special battery pack. That Toro 7.5ah battery is $359 vs $649 for LOSSIGY LiFePO4 Battery 12V 200Ah Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Battery. I have 1000ft of driveway and big circle at the end. I think this Toro is the best of them so far and it would not do it without 2 extra sets of batteries. That is a lot of money for battery that will be worthless in 5 years. Gas engine will run lots longer.

Reactions: sloeffle
Be nice if they used 100ah Standard sized battery instead of special battery pack. That Toro 7.5ah battery is $359 vs $649 for LOSSIGY LiFePO4 Battery 12V 200Ah Deep Cycle Lithium Iron Battery. I have 1000ft of driveway and big circle at the end. I think this Toro is the best of them so far and it would not do it without 2 extra sets of batteries. That is a lot of money for battery that will be worthless in 5 years. Gas engine will run lots longer.
Why would they only last five years? Those batteries probably work in the rest of the Toro line of electric outdoor power equipment, so the investment can be spread out. There are also other benefits to electric equipment; less vibration, less noise, no volatile liquids, and less maintenance.

My guess is the new series of Lithium cells with deeper charge capacity will be nipping at the heels of moderate gas units in few years. I am not so sure they are ready yet for real snow conditions like my Honda.
That's what I figure too. I was a bit afraid of thick grass with the electric mower. And I have stalled it out when I cut too low and the grass was too thick. But most people don't have grass that can weekly stall out a 6.5hp mower. And most people don't have the snow of NH.

I got by for years with a 3.5hp Ariens. If there was a heavy snowfall on the way, I may need to clear the snow every 6-8". It really wasn't too bad. I imagine similar behavior if the electric proves undersized.

The only place that has shot themselves in the foot by not giving a choice between gas and electric is California. Not all situations are the same and gas power is certainly the best solution in many situations. I'm not sure how their commercial service industries are going to pass the increased costs trying to buy enough batteries for a zero turn lawn mowing route. These guys make the model work by mowing 40 lawns a day. They'd need another truck driving around with the crew just to hold the batteries!

Re: 18V Lithium Ion drill problem? Li-ion batteries, depending on chemistry, capacity, temperature and age, self-discharge up to 20% per month and lose 20% capacity per year. I have had to replace batteries 3-5 years. If they were less expensive this would work. $359 for Toro Battery every 3-5 years when gas don't lose any power. Plus you need 2 sets really unless you have small driveway.

A general comment is every company has its own proprietary form factor to lock a consumer into their brand. I expect folks remember standard batteries sizes like AAA, A, C, D cells. Sure would be nice to have standardized battery packs. BTW there are folks who re-cell many lithium battery packs. The actual number of cell form factors are pretty small, the downside is in order for them to work safely they really need to be spot welded rather than spring contacted as a spring contact is overly prone to high resistance. With short circuit amps like these lithum batteries are capable of, a high resistance connection is not something to be desired as it can lead to battery pack melt down. Re-celling is not that tough for many batteries but the companies frequently use proprietary hardware to keep the cases together. The bummer is the spot welders designed for batteries are very expensive unless someone wants to risk a cheap chinese version of questionable quality.

The manufacturers can "tune" a lithium cell for output, "tune" them hot and they put out lots of power for long time but numb er of cycles drops significantly, "tune" them conservatively and they last longer.

Re: 18V Lithium Ion drill problem? Li-ion batteries, depending on chemistry, capacity, temperature and age, self-discharge up to 20% per month and lose 20% capacity per year. I have had to replace batteries 3-5 years. If they were less expensive this would work. $359 for Toro Battery every 3-5 years when gas don't lose any power. Plus you need 2 sets really unless you have small driveway.
You can't compare 18v lithium batteries from over a decade ago to modern lithium batteries. That's like saying all cars are bad because they sucked in the 70's.

Sure you can. In 5 Years the Batteries won't be the same. In 5 Years the Gas Engine will still have same power for Snowblower. You will have to replace batteries. I doubt the Engine will be replaced if maintained properly (Batteries need to be maintained too). Those batteries for Toro are expensive. 2 Sets needed or more. I have 1000ft of driveway. I would need 3 extra sets. Or 10 gallons of Gas. Guess which one is cheaper?

They need to be standard battery and more AMPS.

Sure you can. In 5 Years the Batteries won't be the same. In 5 Years the Gas Engine will still have same power for Snowblower. You will have to replace batteries. I doubt the Engine will be replaced if maintained properly (Batteries need to be maintained too). Those batteries for Toro are expensive. 2 Sets needed or more. I have 1000ft of driveway. I would need 3 extra sets. Or 10 gallons of Gas. Guess which one is cheaper?

They need to be standard battery and more AMPS.
The batteries are much cheaper in the long run, when you take in the total cost to not only your wallet, but the damage to the environment as well. The gas engines used on outdoor power equipment are horrible for air quality and they are extremely loud, hearing damage loud.

So what do you drive? Heat with? I doubt the Gallon of Gas I use will be the Straw that breaks the Camel's Back. I bet those Batteries produce more Enveronment Damage being made than the Fuel.

• Haha
Reactions: SpaceBus
The environment wasn't my concern when buying my electric lawnmower. I was looking for ease of maintenance. It'd also be easier for the wife and kid to start it if needed.

My Snowblowers start with 1 Pull one of them. Other one has Electric and it's Push the Button. Can't be easier. Wife tackles the driveway if it's worth running the Tractor with Tractor and Blade. Then cleanup with Blower or do it all with Blower. Depends on how much fun we want.

20200111_081344_resized.jpg IMG_20211225_103019592.jpg

Battleborn lithium batteries are drop in replacements for 12 volt batteries made with lithium chemistry cells. Build a two stage snowblower with two flat pans for two of the Battle born heated battery units and then its viable somewhat standardized device with no doubt plenty of charge capacity but at $1800 for the pair no doubt the price of the snowblower goes up.

BTW snowblowers used to be built heavy duty but the newer units have been cost engineered to look beefy but are made cheap. A lot of them are just badge engineered. Most die of bad carbs due to ethanol but even if you can avoid it the fancy features tend to be made cheap. Bearings are chi com, cables are light duty. Replacement parts are usually available for some period of time but when they are out, they are out. I bought a used Honda commercial unit that was well used and I was impressed, it was built for the long term. It was in hard service, gravel driveways had worn out the impeller chute. It died eventually and was replaced with new version. They have now come out with a hybrid commericial unit, electric drive motors and gas engine to blow the snow. My guess is they looked at full electric. At 9K my guess is they would be tough to even find at a dealer.

Yeah, that kind of knocks the simple machine idea on its ash. Do they run the electric off a generator ala freight train or batteries? I can't see how making it more complicated is a good thing.

Battleborn lithium batteries are drop in replacements for 12 volt batteries made with lithium chemistry cells. Build a two stage snowblower with two flat pans for two of the Battle born heated battery units and then its viable somewhat standardized device with no doubt plenty of charge capacity but at $1800 for the pair no doubt the price of the snowblower goes up.

BTW snowblowers used to be built heavy duty but the newer units have been cost engineered to look beefy but are made cheap. A lot of them are just badge engineered. Most die of bad carbs due to ethanol but even if you can avoid it the fancy features tend to be made cheap. Bearings are chi com, cables are light duty. Replacement parts are usually available for some period of time but when they are out, they are out. I bought a used Honda commercial unit that was well used and I was impressed, it was built for the long term. It was in hard service, gravel driveways had worn out the impeller chute. It died eventually and was replaced with new version. They have now come out with a hybrid commericial unit, electric drive motors and gas engine to blow the snow. My guess is they looked at full electric. At 9K my guess is they would be tough to even find at a dealer.
The auger cable on my Husky ST224 froze and when I went to engage the lever the end broke off. It is kept outdoors, but was under cover. Now I know better, but the cable did seem pretty cheap.