First wood stove -Century S244

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CIRENHOJ

Nov 5, 2015
CENTRAL ILLINOIS
Downsized from our 2400 sq foot home in town to a 1000 sq foot ranch in the woods. Had a wasteful fireplace at the big house that we used for "the feeling". Wanted a wood stove in the new place for sure. Found this Century S244 for $200 and it included the blower. Went with a corner mount using clearances from the manual. Used 2 layers of durock on the wood floor with a layer of 2" thick concrete pavers as the base. Will monitor the wall temps to determine if I need to add any wall protection behind it. . Single wall stove pipe from stove up to ceiling box, then selkirk class A chimney through attic and out roof. Needed one 15 degree offset kit to clear a rafter ($$$). Still wrapping things up but here are a few pics. Need to add the last two rear corner hearth stones. I have a friend coming next week to help run the chimney through the roof, flash and cap. Don't worry the dog biscuit box and the stuff around the stove will be gone when it gets fired up. The firebricks are in the box!
stove1.jpg

Reactions: Huntindog1
I like that lil stove - just asking, does the single wall pipe have 18" clearance from the outside of the pipe to the nearest wall?

I like that lil stove - just asking, does the single wall pipe have 18" clearance from the outside of the pipe to the nearest wall?
Right now it is 15" based on the stove instructions. Is 18" now a requirement? The stove instructions say that 18" to the chimney connector may be required by authority having jurisdiction but the clearance diagram shows outside of pipe to combustible wall to be 15".

Another member messaged my and said he had the same stove and same installation. He said that the walls behind his stove get pretty hot, even with durock as wall protection. I'm thinking I'm going to have to add some wall protection with a 1" airspace.

NFPA - lists single wall stove pipe as needing to be 18" minimum from combustibles to maintain ul listing, if you plan to use the stove with that setup then please move the stove further away from the wall, or you can use double wall (dvl) and have 6" clearance minimum to combustibles, (this means you don't have to move the stove from its current location)
Also you may want to start researching for wall shields, I have seen some beautifully created (homemade) shields on this site, as long as the material is non combustible there are endless possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.