first wood stove for a 1550 sq ft Foursquare

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

valleyfire

Sep 10, 2018
Massachusetts
We have a 1550 square foot American Foursquare in Massachusetts with about 700 sq ft on the first floor in a fairly open layout (cased openings between front hall/staircase, living room, dining room, and kitchen in a circle). The second story is much more closed off and we don't get much airflow between stories. There is a disused single flue masonry chimney (16" x 20" exterior dimensions) that runs through the center of the house and exits above the peak of the hipped (pyramidal) roof, so we should get good draft; we would certainly run a metal chimney inside it because we know the masonry chimney can't handle flue gases.

We are planning a corner installation in the living room and intend to use the stove for coziness and as a backup in case our electricity-dependent gas hot water system (with cast iron baseboard radiators) fails. We don't expect to be able to heat the upstairs well with the stove and don't want to get overheated downstairs, and don't expect to be doing overnight burns. Power rarely goes out here and we are usually the first ones to get it back, but a few years ago (before we lived here) everyone here lost power for 4-10 days. Last winter we had -20 temps (-40 with wind chill) and a 10-day period where it never got above 20F, so a backup heat system would be welcome. If we are out of power for long I figure we will all just sleep in the living room for a couple of nights.

A local store steered us to the Hearthstone Craftsbury and Tribute, the Jotul F3CB, and the Lopi 1250. We don't like the Jotul styling, the Tribute seems difficult to get 16" wood in, and the Craftsbury is beautiful but reviews here make it sound unreliable and finicky. The Lopi is much cheaper than any other option. We don't love it but would be fine with it, and it seems to have a reputation for simple reliability. So - should we go with the Lopi, or reconsider? Will the Lopi fit on a 48" square corner pad? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lopi would work and there are other options. In cast iron I'd also look at the Hampton H200 and 300. Do you prefer the look of a steel stove? If so, the Enviro Kodiak 1200, Pacific Energy Vista, Regency F110, Osburn 900 and others are worth checking out. If you are looking for an inexpensive, reliable, small stove take a look at the Englander 17-VL.

Last edited:
Just curious as to why you don’t like the Jotul styling. For a cast iron stove I think they are one of the nicest looking ones. Too traditional looking possibly. They do burn well for a small non cat stove.

I personally like the look of the jotul as well. But to each their own its not my house so my opinion on the aesthetics dont matter. If i were you with your needs i would be looking at cat stoves. They can run much lower than non cats meaning you shouldnt overheat the space as easily.

Thanks, everyone. We do want a leg stove and a non-cat - I have a strong personal preference for simpler technology. The Jotul is just not our style or the (1910s) style of our house.

Given the month we are trying to move quickly and would prefer to go with this store, which only carries those four stoves among stoves in this size. There is another store nearby that carries the Pacific Energy Alderlea range, so that is an option.

Thanks, everyone. We do want a leg stove and a non-cat - I have a strong personal preference for simpler technology. The Jotul is just not our style or the (1910s) style of our house.

Given the month we are trying to move quickly and would prefer to go with this store, which only carries those four stoves among stoves in this size. There is another store nearby that carries the Pacific Energy Alderlea range, so that is an option.
Fair enough. Any of those listed will work. But it is going to take some time for you to figure out how to keep from overheating your space. And you are going to have pretty short burn times. As long as you know that and are ok with it you are fine.

The Jotul Oslo has a new front door. It has less arches. Whatever stove your looking at, check the stove clearances and hearth construction requirements. There all not the same.

Fair enough. Any of those listed will work. But it is going to take some time for you to figure out how to keep from overheating your space. And you are going to have pretty short burn times. As long as you know that and are ok with it you are fine.

A short burn time is ok. In terms of overheating, are these stoves too big? Would cast iron work better than steel? We were drawn to the soapstone partly because my in-laws have one and love the slow heat, bu, but I was discouraged by the reviews of the smaller Hearthstones.

A short burn time is ok. In terms of overheating, are these stoves too big? Would cast iron work better than steel? We were drawn to the soapstone partly because my in-laws have one and love the slow heat, bu, but I was discouraged by the reviews of the smaller Hearthstones.
Any stove even the small ones will pretty easily over heat a 700 squ ft space. You will have to burn small hot fires in a non cat stove.