First Wood Stove Looking for Input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NRGwave

Jan 2, 2019
Wisconsin
My wife and I have recently decide to finish our basement and are looking to install a wood stove. I have checked all the boxes with local inspector to verify installation of a stove is possible. We are able to run the Class A pipe through the interior of the house, which should make for a better draft and will have roughly 18' of pipe. I will be heating about 1800 sq ft and like the idea of a large fire box that can accommodate larger logs to reduce the trips to the log pile. Up until this point I wanted a Blaze King Princess but now I am not so sure. My appeal was largely based on the efficiency and long burn times. I don't like the inability to burn wet wood if I had to. Another point I am questioning about cat based stoves is the fact the cats wear out and aren't cheap to replace.

So today I have introduced both Jotul and Morso into the mix. My wife immediately was drawn to the look of the Jotul OSLO. But am a bit hesitant due to the fact it's cast and they can crack, I understand steel stoves have a melting point too. Does anyone know if Jotul uses cheap cast from China or India or have any background on the quality of their stoves, are they what they used to be? She also found the Blaze King Ashford 30 today online and like it too but I am not sure I want to deal with a cat.

Looking for input/suggestions for our generational stove!

Cost isn't a large factor in this decision.

My wife and I have recently decide to finish our basement and are looking to install a wood stove. I have checked all the boxes with local inspector to verify installation of a stove is possible. We are able to run the Class A pipe through the interior of the house, which should make for a better draft and will have roughly 18' of pipe. I will be heating about 1800 sq ft and like the idea of a large fire box that can accommodate larger logs to reduce the trips to the log pile. Up until this point I wanted a Blaze King Princess but now I am not so sure. My appeal was largely based on the efficiency and long burn times. I don't like the inability to burn wet wood if I had to. Another point I am questioning about cat based stoves is the fact the cats wear out and aren't cheap to replace.

So today I have introduced both Jotul and Morso into the mix. My wife immediately was drawn to the look of the Jotul OSLO. But am a bit hesitant due to the fact it's cast and they can crack, I understand steel stoves have a melting point too. Does anyone know if Jotul uses cheap cast from China or India or have any background on the quality of their stoves, are they what they used to be? She also found the Blaze King Ashford 30 today online and like it too but I am not sure I want to deal with a cat.

No wood stove burns water. It doesn't matter what stove you pic it will burn like crap with wet wood

The Oslo is a good stove so are the blaze kings, both require dry wood though. Better get your wood pile started now. I had the princess and loved it but mine was an insert, the free stander will give you longer burn times.

You should read up on basement installs. There can be draft issues due to a phenomenon known as the stack effect. Interior stack will help. Not sure if there is a way to test for negative pressure in basement beforehand. Not trying to spook you but in some instances it can be a major obstacle.

Jotul's are not cheaply made but as stated no modern stove will operate well on a diet of freshly split wood. You can sneak a few pieces in here and there but if your not prepared to season wood down to about 20% then go to plan B.

You should read up on basement installs. There can be draft issues due to a phenomenon known as the stack effect. Interior stack will help. Not sure if there is a way to test for negative pressure in basement beforehand. Not trying to spook you but in some instances it can be a major obstacle.

Jotul's are not cheaply made but as stated no modern stove will operate well on a diet of freshly split wood. You can sneak a few pieces in here and there but if your not prepared to season wood down to about 20% then go to plan B.

My home is 2 years old and the rim joist are sprayed with closed cell 2 part spray foam and I am going to be covering the walls too. This summer I plan on going up in the attic to seal all light and fan boxes as well bathroom fan fixtures. I am hoping this should make stack effect a non issue

I bought my Oslo 3 years ago in Asheville NC. What a great stove!

China? No way, Jose.
I unpacked it from the shipping crate, made in Norway.
I am on the road now in the Big Rig in Evergreen Alabama and the girlfriend is at home in the North Carolina mountains, she told me she just lit up the big Norwegian stove at 5pm today, not really that cold only 48 degrees but she just loves that stove.
She burns it more than I do.

Reactions: darktower007
Have you gave Pacific Energy a look?

When I was looking recently, for some reason I automatically dismissed them, even though my dad was pushing them. I was hung up on other more prominent brand names. It does seem like PE does get overlooked often. They make a great product and it's a relatively simple setup.

I stumbled on a great deal on a Pacific Energy that was too good to pass up.....and all I can say is WHAT A STOVE!

Huge firebox, great heat, easy burn, long 12+ hour burns. Definitely worth a look.

Reactions: Woody Stover
My first encouragement to you is to get working on your woodpile. Under 20% moisture is preferable. Any wood that is wet will not burn or burn well. You definitely don't want to burn anything that has a high moisture content. This will also cause creosote problems which you do not want. Regarding your pic of a wood stove, all the above mentioned stoves are good. I would also encourage you to take a look at Wood Stock Soapstone Company's stoves. You can find them at www.woodstove.com. We have the Progress Hybrid which easily heats our 2,400 sq. ft. ranch style home. They also have some newer models which have similar specs but are not as pricey as the PH. Finally, enjoy your wood stove journey. We embarked on this journey just under 5 years ago. It took us a while to get three years ahead on our wood pile but now we are thoroughly enjoying the wood stove and the warmth in our home.

Also recommend to get going on a wood pile. I started mine a few months before I bought a stove, but got lucky that year by scoring a bunch of free dead ash that was dry enough to burn well and held me over much of that winter. People think it's insane I keep about 3 years worth of wood stacked at my house but it really just has to do with the plan of always having seasoned wood on hand.

I would second looking at Pacific Energy, but I'm biased since their T5 is the only stove I've owned. As a newbie though, I have grown to love it.

Like everyone else has said, worry about your wood now. Wood to be burnt next winter should already be split and stacked. It does not matter what stove you get, no modern stove will work well with wet wood. Also, don't think that you can buy "seasoned" wood. The chances of buying ready to burn wood are extremely slim. Every dealer will say that their wood is seasoned but that does not mean it is ready to burn. Lots of people spend a lot of money on a nice new stove and are very disappointed when it doesn't work well because of poor wood.

Get your basement walls insulated. It's a huge heat loss without it.

The old smoke dragons would burn anything. As stated the new EPA stoves require about 20% or less moisture content to operate effectively. Wet wood will load up the flue with creosote and you’ll wonder why it’s not getting hot. Energy is wasted burning off moisture.

I just got a blaze King Ashford insert a few days ago. The scientist in me did a experiment Last night I loaded it up with dry wood (oak 4 splits) 14% and it took right off, and burned nice and hot.

This morning I used partially dry hickory at 22% moisture and my wife said 2 hours later it’s struggling on flames and heat.

Wood moisture matters. Buy the driest wood you can afford now. Tarp it or store it in a shed, and you’ll be on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some feedback. The basement location will work, but I suggest you consider putting it in the space you plan on using the most. There's a lot threads here that explain other issues with basement installs. The Oslo is a high quality stove. I think it's around 500 LBS, built like a tank, . We have seen a few with base cracks. Never heard how they did it. I assume long term overfiring. It's easy to control. Mine is 18 years old and you would think it was brand new, because of the enamel finish. Most people regret not spending the extra $ for it. The stove will hold a 26 inch split. I burn huge spits, cut 18+ inches. Not the largest firebox out there, but more than I need for about 1600 sqft of well insulated house.

Steel stoves can pop their welds.
Cast iron stoves can crack.
Soapstone stoves stones can fracture.

Buy a decent brand and in most cases you'll be fine . . . sure there may be the occasional flaw, but a decent company tends to stand behind their stove and will repair or replace if it's a "lemon".

As mentioned . . . dry wood is important.

I think I hear what you are saying though . . . folks stress how important seasoned wood is for cat stoves and so I know I originally thought "Well I guess I should get a secondary burner stove in case my wood isn't seasoned enough." The truth is -- as mentioned -- that all stoves do much, much better with seasoned wood.

Reactions: BKVP
I have a Morso, but I doubt it would heat your house, especially in a basement. They do have a couple of larger stoves, and a good fireview as well. Cat stoves won't have the same fire as a non cat, but as you mentioned, longer burn times. Something to consider about burn times; the longer you burn the wood, the less heat per hour you are getting out of it. A 20+ hr burn time on the BK is assuming you don't need a lot of heat. The cat stove also holds the advantage in the shoulder seasons when you need less heat anyway. Sounds like your house is well insulated, so it should hold the heat for a long time meaning you don't need huge burn times, just the ability to hold coals for 8-12 hrs.
I'm with you on the European high quality cast stoves, but maybe a convection stove with a cast iron jacket might be a better fit for your home. Check out the Pacific Energy Alderlea line.

I have 2 Jotul stoves.... F 600 Firelight and F 50 TL Rangely.....if your not scared off from the price, they're very nice stoves...I'd recommend either.

I have put a lot of terrible, wet wood through my Princess. You can do it if you have to.

Get some pine split, stacked, and covered now for next year, and you won't have to.

All stoves are likely to require expensive replacement parts eventually. That's part of owning an appliance.

No stove will make you happy if it's in an uninsulated basement. Get the walls and floor insulated if you really want a stove down there.

We just installed a Jøtul F400. Primary deciding factors were in order of importance
1- will it fit?the Footprint is not an issue for you but BTU output could be.
2 - simplistic function- I decided on non-cat and no thermostatic burn control. A single air control made the most sense to me.
3-looks. I wanted a white enamel finish.

After there were not lot a lot of choices that met all three.

Pick what’s the most important and start narrowing down from there. If I put one in our basement I would have opted for thermostatic control as we are don’t spend a lot of time down there. I really like my Auger AT200 overt fire alarm. I don’t feel like I have to babysit my new stove. I really like the looks of the Jøtul stoves.

Hope that helps.

Evan.

Have you gave Pacific Energy a look?..I stumbled on a great deal on a Pacific Energy that was too good to pass up.....and all I can say is WHAT A STOVE! Huge firebox, great heat, easy burn, long 12+ hour burns. Definitely worth a look.
The PEs are supposed to burn longer than a lot of non-cat stoves, due to the metered secondary air. They have a couple other features that look good as well.
Buy the driest wood you can afford now. Tarp it or store it in a shed, and you’ll be on your way.
You want wind to blow through the stack, so top-cover only. If you buy wood, try to find some soft Maple, which will dry well over the summer. Red Maple burns a bit longer than Silver but both dry quickly. If you will cut your own wood, look for small, dead trees with all the bark gone, <8".