First years work! CRAZY!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Well I think I put my new chainsaw to work this year! I have got 3.5 cords under my deck css this spring all dead standing barkless elm and a little bit of barkless oak tops. A half cord of boxelder I'm going to dig into in the next week according to the forecast. And about another cord of dry oak/ash combo stacked along the garage I plan on mixing in with damp wood, If I come across some in my piles or it will be bumped to the 15/16 stash.
Here's the makings of 2015/16s wood already css this spring in the first and second rows from the left. 16/17 wood is being stacked in the 3rd row and will be adding more rows.
20141026_151153.jpg
20141026_151138.jpg What you see in the photos should come out to a little over 6 cords. It is mostly red oak, a cord of elm, face cord of white oak, a face cord of poplar, and a face cord of cottonwood/boxelder mix. First row is 44'x5'x1.3'(16"). Second and third rows are/will be 40'x5'x1.3' each. I will be adding 2 more rows where the Green Ram is sitting! Once those are filled by the time the snow flies or early next spring, that should be darn close to my 3 year cycle by the time those are full.

The wood thats under my deck was cut on shares on 2 properties and I had to leave them each a cord to a cord and a half. My most recent find has been oak wilted red oaks. Have taken about 7 truck loads so far out of 6 trees and there is over a dozen more trees left! So with my calculations so far I have cranked out a conservative 13.5 cords of which 11 are mine!

I worked mostly this spring and just recently these last 2 weekends about 2/3 of a day for 4 days. All wood was cut with the help of my pops, and some with my lovely better half and the 2 little ones (5 and 3 yrs old) and my mom. Cutting and splitting is like an addiction this first year. I'm sure that will wear off in the coming years though.
Thanks for reading.
Paul

Attachments

• 20141026_151219.jpg
    20141026_151219.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
off to a great start

and no, it won't wear off, you'll just run out of places to stack it

Reactions: Beer Belly
Don't break anything like a rotator cuff, but our local forecast here predicts the polar vortex will be once again wintering in MN and WI. You are off to a fine start.

Don't break anything like a rotator cuff, but our local forecast here predicts the polar vortex will be once again wintering in MN and WI. You are off to a fine start.
Oh geez, thanks for that on the polar vortex- got plenty of fuel for home - freeze butt at work. can't use wood there- rental for shop area.

No but my parents neighbors are as thats where I have it all stacked! They live out in the country on 5 acres so there is more room and better sun and wind for drying. I am renting the property so no stacking on the grass here.
Guys at work think I'm crazy though! They say its way easier to just buy it already split and delivered. I'll borrow them a stove full and mention this site once my stuff is dry and they will understand. I was in the same relm of thinking untill I came upon this site and read all about moisture content!

Keep it going nice job so far. Can never have enough firewood

I think it looks absolutely lovely.

But, I'm biased :p

Good job, 'sconnie! Reward yourself with a grilled sharp cheddar on rye. :cool: Are the neighbors giving you funny looks yet? ;lolThat's what I heard earlier, now I'm hearing it won't be that bad. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/l3mto.php
That's what I hear also. A more normal winter and so far October is much nicer than last year. I wore shorts today in 62 degree weather. Good for northern Wisconsin but a change is near as they say by the weekend highs will be in the 30's with cool nights in the low 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.