Fisher Baby Bear baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountaindeb

Sep 22, 2015
Maine
Is the 1980 Fisher Baby Bear wood stove supposed to have a baffle inside? I bought my stove used and it didn't have one. The chimney cleaner thinks it should. What is the true answer please? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum;
No single door older Fisher was factory equipped with a baffle.

(Later Honey Bear was availalbe in single door configuration and TF-88 had glass door with baffle system, but they are rare)

The baffle thread explains more of what a "Smoke Shelf Baffle" does. They were original equipment on the later model III double door stoves only. They were added after 1980 for smoke reduction, so I duplicated what Fisher's research and development did for the double door stoves and retrofitted an easy to make and install baffle for the single door models with very favorable results.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...less-smoke-under-25.74710/page-4#post-1964224

Should it have one? - yes, depending on chimney.
What is your chimney specs? Interior / exterior, masonry or steel, insulated, and what flue size all the way up? Elbows and feet of connector pipe is resistance that reduces draft, as well as a pipe damper being the variable resistance required with an over drafting chimney. Baffle smoke space (exhaust flow area) makes the efficiency difference for a proper working baffle - but anything is normally better than none as long as chimney draft is adequate.

See this thread concerning baffle in a smaller Baby Bear stove that doesn't take up loading space;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/top-exit-baby-bear.146554/#post-1973256

Status
Not open for further replies.