Fisher Grandma Screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nomoneytowaste

Nov 22, 2021
Mid Atlantic
Hello everyone! Sorry to post an unnecessary thread, but unfortunately I cannot message a member directly as a new member.

This forum has been a huge help and helped "ignite" my new love affair with Fishers!

@CamFan

Do you have any more Gma screens left?

Thanks!!

Hey @coaly ! Tried to message you this direct, but I STILL don't have the privilege to be able to message anyone but staff....

As you may already know, "mtn man" acquired some (or all?) of CamFan's Fisher parts and screens. Thankfully, he reached out to me.

What I am gathering is that there were at least 3 screens that were made and work with the traditional, older-style flat door. mtn man doesn't have any of the original black, non-mesh style:

View attachment 286755

He has 2 others:

View attachment 286756View attachment 286757

I did see a version of the "lever style" in a thread where you mentioned CamFan had the style on the right, with the spring handles in a bag...

(https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-grandma-stove-needs-a-screen-insert.102936/page-2)

View attachment 286759

So...were all 3 grandma options? Will they all work on my older model? Were there any other models offered?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

He saw your post asking about one and by the time I contacted him he told me had already contacted you about one.

The all black with angled frame and little crosses stamped into sheet metal making the screen was the first screens made for the double doors. This was something new in the stove industry.

The rectangular frame with two pull handles was the second version as they developed. They snap on, but not secure as the rotating lock on handles.

The chrome frame with two handles that rotate to lock on is called Contemporary and started around 1980.

The last design was for the arched top doors. This is the only screen that will not work on the older models with flat top doors since the hinge plates are farther apart on flat doors. The screen frame ears set on the hinge plates and the door hinge ear holds them in place. This arched top screen will hang on your older hinges at the top and not reach the bottom to be held in place at the bottom. The lock on type with handles will fit either type door since they lock in the door opening which is the same size and don't use the door for locking on.

I have a screen from my Gramma bear stove that I forgot to leave with the owner that bought my house 2 years ago. It’s chrome frame with the 2 rotating handles and mesh screen. I’m thinking it’s about 14x20 . Unfortunately, I’m on a hunting trip in West Texas until about Dec 15, I have no use for it , so it needs a home.