Fisher Grandpa Bear with the "Fisher/Stoves" doors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing that. It's only the second one like that I've seen. Must have been a foundry with a different mold. This one doesn't have ball feet, and was never highlighted. It's a better picture of it too.

Grandpa different doors 2.jpg Grandpa different doors.jpg

I just went through all my pics I have saved of Grandpa Bears. I have each model in a file to make it easy comparing and try to name the file with where the stove is as well. Every Grandpa with the large trees also has the stars. (Every Grandma I have with stars has the smaller trees) When the stars were dropped after the first year the double door was made, they looked like this, with smaller trees; (and matched Grandma)

Grandpa comparison.jpg

Those two with the two words have been the only ones with the large tree style without stars.

Since the first single door stoves had Fisher -- Stove on the door with a rather large dash on the door, it's odd that they would use the word "STOVES" plural on only that model. Fisher Stoves in a circle became their trademark and was used as the name of many fabricators making the stoves. (that's a bronze belt buckle given to dealers in my avatar) These could have been an advertising model taken to the many trade shows at the time. It would have been the largest model made, and that is what you would want on the sign for your booth or area at a fair or other gathering. Just a guess since it appears not many exist.

Have to wonder if these "FISHER STOVES" doors have the original round casting on the back to match the round door seal rod welded to stove front, or if they have the square notch on back for the common 1 inch flat channel iron welded to stove front.

Here's a Grandma on eBay with the FISHER STOVES doors. Thompson PA

Thompson PA GM.JPG Poor eBay pic;

Thompson PA GM.JPG Lightened up

This Grandma has the early round 1/2 rod door seal (not 1 inch channel iron) and round notch on back or doors to match.

Thompson PA GM 3.JPG Lightened photo showing door seal.

There has to be a line drawn as to how many stoves one can have.
I think my wife just drew it. :(

Reactions: Wise Ash-burner
Status
Not open for further replies.