Fisher Grandpa what year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticdoll

Dec 5, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
Can Coaly or anyone else help me ID what year this Grandpa Bear was created?? Left door says "Patent" No mfg tags that I can see although maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Received 4 silver paws for the feet...purchased in Michigan so I suspect it was manufactured here....any idea what year this would be?

Attachments

• fisher 1.jpg
    fisher 1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 405
  • fisher crop.jpg
    fisher crop.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 373
What post number in that thread? I don't see it.

'78 or later with older draft caps. (if they are original)
Before tags.

Silver feet as in nickel or chrome? They should be white brass plated. A magnet shouldn't stick, and they should have Fisher Int on bottom inside. They came with washers to put inside to shim the stove legs higher to get the stove to sit level and solid on uneven hearth or pad. They are for leveling, not just looks. Only polish with precious metal polish for brass, nickel, silver, gold.......

I will check out the feet...didn't know what to look for but they are pretty....didn't know about the washers and leveling, had the stove set a couple of weeks ago. Great tips on how to polish... :)
Draft caps seem original...guy I bought it from said he was bummed he changed out to a newer stove design but who knows who is telling the truth these days? I tend to believe him because it is throwing a good amount of heat!! I'll check out the bear feet and get back! Thanks for quick response!!

Ah, I was looking for the exact same stove.
This one has the correct time period 5 fin draft caps for the bent handles and later springs just before 1980. It has all the refinements before the Cathedral doors started.
It also has rods welded to the legs for the ball feet. They were the first foot type and mount with a set screw and are adjustable for leveling.
The finish on this one is a real mess. But that's what sells on eBay since people don't know what it should be. This stove was blacked with stove black for cast iron. Notice the doors rough cast came out fine. The smooth steel plate is not the surface for stove black to adhere or be consistent. It will require redoing each year and is not impervious to water. When it gets wet, it rusts right though the finish. To refinish with the correct paint, good luck. It's almost impossible to get off.
Highlighting was not original.
If you're asking what to finish with, Stove Bright Satin Black.

The old owner of yours is no doubt disappointed with a newer stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.