Fisher Insert Fan Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tramlaw33

Nov 22, 2019
South Carolina
I recently reinstalled a Fisher Wood stove in my chimney. The I took the fan motor to be worked on, they had to replace it. I've installed it, and now it is really loud.

Does anyone have any tips about how to make it quieter? It's not like the unit is rattling on the brick, it sounds from inside the housing unit. I'm guessing the rubber washers are just old and may be replaced, but any other tips?

By the way, the link below shows what my stove and fan look like, albeit the fan is on the right side.

I don't have any input on the fan but how did you install the insert?

Did you remove the motor from housing yourself? Is it reinstalled in the housing correctly? I believe Lowe's has rubber grommets in their hardware drawer section if it needs new. I have cut rubber fuel line in short lengths to make rubber spacers for motors with good results. Make sure it is balanced. Does it vibrate?

The original installation manual does no good for installing. Codes have changed countrywide requiring all Inserts to be directly connected to a liner extending to the top of chimney.
The Insert was designed to use an existing fireplace chimney. Time has proven a larger flue diameter than the 8 inch outlet allows the flue gasses to expand, cooling below condensing point which allows creosote to form rapidly.

Reactions: bholler
What coaly said. Installing without a liner connected can be very dangerous and is a clear code violation

Did you remove the motor from housing yourself? Is it reinstalled in the housing correctly? I believe Lowe's has rubber grommets in their hardware drawer section if it needs new. I have cut rubber fuel line in short lengths to make rubber spacers for motors with good results. Make sure it is balanced. Does it vibrate?

The original installation manual does no good for installing. Codes have changed countrywide requiring all Inserts to be directly connected to a liner extending to the top of chimney.
The Insert was designed to use an existing fireplace chimney. Time has proven a larger flue diameter than the 8 inch outlet allows the flue gasses to expand, cooling below condensing point which allows creosote to form rapidly.

Yes I did remove the motor, and the grommets and gasket were the originals and reinstalled exactly as they were. I do believe over time they are just hardened and probably should just be replaced. Thanks for your input, I will try that and post if it doesn't work.

Yes I did remove the motor, and the grommets and gasket were the originals and reinstalled exactly as they were. I do believe over time they are just hardened and probably should just be replaced. Thanks for your input, I will try that and post if it doesn't work.
You need to worry about installing your insert safely not the noisy fan at this point

Update:

I did put in new rubber washers and new gasket, still exceedingly loud. I isolated the motor from the unit, and it's definitely not the motor itself, it's somehow vibrating and echoing into the housing unit for the fan. With that said, does anyone have a parts manual for the fan itself? Maybe I'm missing some part I'm just not aware of.

Quite a few manufacturers made the different style blowers for them. I've never seen a parts breakdown for one.

Can you try it without the blower wheel to rule out the way it is attached? Rotate by hand to see if motor has a slightly bent shaft? And that the wheel runs true.
What balances the wheel? Some have clips on a blade that can come off, others drill holes in the rotating disc to balance.

Seems like a balance issue. I'd inspect the wheel very closely making sure the hub (part with set screw hole) is tight the way it is attached to the side plate (disc) of the wheel. Did it come off the motor easily? Since that can deform it.

Quite a few manufacturers made the different style blowers for them. I've never seen a parts breakdown for one.

Can you try it without the blower wheel to rule out the way it is attached? Rotate by hand to see if motor has a slightly bent shaft? And that the wheel runs true.
What balances the wheel? Some have clips on a blade that can come off, others drill holes in the rotating disc to balance.

Seems like a balance issue. I'd inspect the wheel very closely making sure the hub (part with set screw hole) is tight the way it is attached to the side plate (disc) of the wheel. Did it come off the motor easily? Since that can deform it.

All good points/questions. I did try the motor without the blower wheel, was still pretty loud. Taking the motor off the housing unit all together, hardly no sound.

I'm not sure what balances the wheel, but I am going to look at that as soon as possible. It does attach to the motor via the screw hole, and I've been tightening that internal hex screw so that it is flush against the flat side of the rod coming off the motor.

Speaking of that, the rod from the motor on the original was possibly 1.5 inches long. The new one is about 5 inches long. I don't know how it would affect the stability, but that could have something to do with it. Seems unlikely given that the wheel is attached closer to the base/motor as opposed to further out the rod. Either way I'm going to work around that and try to post pics to help.

All good points/questions. I did try the motor without the blower wheel, was still pretty loud. Taking the motor off the housing unit all together, hardly no sound.

I'm not sure what balances the wheel, but I am going to look at that as soon as possible. It does attach to the motor via the screw hole, and I've been tightening that internal hex screw so that it is flush against the flat side of the rod coming off the motor.

Speaking of that, the rod from the motor on the original was possibly 1.5 inches long. The new one is about 5 inches long. I don't know how it would affect the stability, but that could have something to do with it. Seems unlikely given that the wheel is attached closer to the base/motor as opposed to further out the rod. Either way I'm going to work around that and try to post pics to help.
Again please dont use this stove untill you address the serious safety issues with the install

With the blower wheel off, you should hardly hear it, just a slight hum with no vibration.

Normally the shaft is cut off so only 1/2 inch protrudes from the blower wheel hub. Give it a good chamfer (like a 45*) on the cut edge with a file. I run the motor and dress the edge with a file. This way when it comes time to remove it, there is no chance of being stuck from rust or corrosion on the shaft.

Make sure with the blower off, you move the shaft up and down to make sure the bearings hold the shaft tight. Any play up and down or sideways is going to let it really jump around when up to speed.

I'll have to pull some old stuff off my old hard drives from when I started researching a few computers ago for you! A lot isn't posted on the web to protect the innocent and the guilty LOL. Please correct me if you find anything incorrect. Piecing things together in reverse sometimes needed correction before posting and I hope there is no misinformation out there. History is updated all the time, and this is no different. It's sad to find other websites stealing information from here, wording things differently, sometimes adding incorrect info, and it soon becomes incorrect information.

Well it’s an awesome read I have sent the link to my dad so he can read and look through as well. Since he knows all he lived it with grandpa.
my grandpa would’ve been so proud to see all of these posts about his stove business he is very much so a people person and would’ve talked your ear off for hours. he also would’ve done anything for you he was very honest and trusting person.
Both of my grandparents Bobby and Carol have passed away and it makes me happy to read about their history on here.

Reactions: Don H and Todd67
I'll have to pull some old stuff off my old hard drives from when I started researching a few computers ago for you! A lot isn't posted on the web to protect the innocent and the guilty LOL. Please correct me if you find anything incorrect. Piecing things together in reverse sometimes needed correction before posting and I hope there is no misinformation out there. History is updated all the time, and this is no different. It's sad to find other websites stealing information from here, wording things differently, sometimes adding incorrect info, and it soon becomes incorrect information.
I would love to see anything you got especially as fascinating as newspaper clippings photos etc. I want to get them all printed off and put in a book

you can cut down a old fan heater and pull the elemnts out and fit it under your fisher stove i have seen it done be for with another fire