Fisher Stove Improvement-Baffel or secondary burn baffel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
hello,

im finally getting around to the stove improvement that i talked about a while back. The secondary burn baffle was discussed and pictured here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17993/. The regular baffle is obviously just a piece of metal about 1 foot wide that keeps the heat reflected away from the chimney exit. My stove is a top exit stove, not a rear exit stove as pictured in the link...do you think this will make for any kind of problem. so long story short...simple baffle or more advanced baffle? I have the capability to make either easily but would like some suggestions as to what thickness of metal to use and what other materials i would/could use. Are there advantages to one or the other???

thanks

cody

another question...with the secondary burn tubes....holes horizontal or vertical? does anyone have any suggestion as how to seal the square tubing againast the back of the stove?
thanks again

I have considered doing some modifications to my Buckstove insert, such as the baffle and secondary burn tubes you have mentioned. You probably won't get much input here. Most are of the opinion that a stove shouldn't be altered from the manufacturer's design. Check this out for more info: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hohmade.htm

I would say if you have the fabrication capability, go for the secondary burn tube baffel.
It is a bit more work but I think it was worth it.
I used 1/4 plate with 1" ceramic insulation on top.
I don't think the top flue collar would make much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.