Fisher Stove/stove pipe temp gauge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snowplow

Dec 12, 2013
Wa
Is a stove pipe thermometer only used in conjunction with a flue damper so yoi dontvget it too cold?

Is a stovetop thermo just used to figure out when to turn on secondary air?

Do you ever need both?

Teach me your ways, wise burners of the wood!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I haven't used stove/pipe thermometers since I started burning in stoves with glass windows. I've found the best way to monitor a burn is to simply watch what it's doing through the glass.

I haven't used stove/pipe thermometers since I started burning in stoves with glass windows. I've found the best way to monitor a burn is to simply watch what it's doing through the glass.
I could not dissagree more. To me the visual aspect os the least important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is a stove pipe thermometer only used in conjunction with a flue damper so yoi dontvget it too cold?

Is a stovetop thermo just used to figure out when to turn on secondary air?

Do you ever need both?

Teach me your ways, wise burners of the wood!

I use both but i mainly go by the pipe personally. Others prefer the stove top. Either works fine or both. It is personal preference.

I go by both visual and temp cues from flue and stove top. Stove top low temp and flue high can indicate too much air is going to the fire.

snowplow, what stove is this? Modern stoves run differently than old stoves.

OK, guidance will be different. Moving to the Fisher forum for a more targeted response by Fisher owners.

Use the thermometer as a guide to keep inner flue above 250* to the top when smoke is present.

No one can tell you what temperature your chimney needs. Creosote formation will tell you that, so check frequently while learning.

Single wall pipe using a magnetic surface temperature reading will be approx. 1/2 the inner flue gas temp.
Double wall pipe requires a probe inside for true flue gas temp.

So measuring temperature where it dumps into chimney, you can only guess the temperature drop you will have at the top without an IR thermometer measuring the temperature of the inner flue. The stove outlet should be the same size (diameter) as connector pipe as well as flue all the way up. When connecting to a larger flue, you will find a huge temperature drop where gasses expand and cool. So the chimney size, type (masonry or insulated steel) and interior or exterior chimney has to be considered for heat loss and what is needed to the top.

probe-dia-eng.png

So it must be no big thing to drill through double wall?

No, its very easy, start with a small pilot drill bit, then drill the pilot hole to the size you need with a larger drill bit.

The instructions with thermometer gives the exact size of holes too. They need to be correct to avoid leakage around the outer hole that affects the temperature reading.