Fisher Wood Stove Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajzzara

Dec 1, 2021
Hawley, PA
Hello, I recently purchased a home in PA. In the unfinished basement, there is a double-door Fisher insert sitting on cinderblocks. The basement is nothing more than block walls, and a concrete floor. Directly above the stove going through the concrete block to one of two chimneys is an 8" terracotta thimble. the questions I have are as follows.:

- Can I use the insert just like I would a regular wood-burning stove? To be more clear, would there be an issue not having this in a hearth?

-Can I just connect the stove to the thimble via some black pipe, or do I need a liner?

-The chimney damper on the stove is broken, do I just get a piece of black pipe with a damper?

I know this isn't rocket science, but I do want my family to be safe while using this stove. I am new to wood-burning for heat. I just got a BK Sirocco insert for our upstairs masonry fireplace. I plan to use the Fisher to get the basement to temp. I will not be running it constantly, just to help get the BK insert on really cold days, or when we get to the house after it has been shut down for a while. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Reactions: KFISH