fisher woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is not ul; labeled then the flue outlet does not make any difference, it can't be legally installed.

Fleu collar reduction can not be made unles the stove was listed and tested for the reduction

You probably CAN, but it will hurt performance and be against code. I'd advise against it unless the circumstances are EXTREMELY extenuating. You'd be better suited selling the fisher unit and replacing it with a higher quality UL listed unit like those that can be bought at home depot, lowes, tractor supply, northern tool, etc. The price for a NEW UL listed, EPA certified unit will probably be almost equal to what someone is willing to pay for that old doubled doored, smoke belching giant of a stove.

I have an old Fisher Mama Bear that I use in the shop on ocassion. I would not put this thing in my house period. It eats wood faster than termites and pukes smoke. My plan is to turn it into a fire box for a smoker. Spend a few bucks on an Englander from HD and it will pay for itself in wood cost.

My Mama bear came with a 6" flue output and it's worked fine for 20 years. Yes it's not up to modern standards and you might not want to install it if you are worried about codes etc. If you are short of cash, have a good supply of dry wood and are willing to monitor the build up in your flue and need to stay warm then I believe the 6" flue will work fine.

Careful there, logon:

Fisher made three different sizes of woodstove. If the OP's stove has an 8" flue collar, it's a Papa Bear and that's the size pipe he needs to use. The cross-sectional area of an 8" flue collar is 50 sq.in. The cross-sectional area of the 6" pipe you just recommended he use is 28 sq.in., or just over half the size. That setup would almost certainly cause poor performance, along with back-smoking into the room every time the stove door was opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.