fiskars x27 . . . believe the hype

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

robj80

Burning Hunk
Oct 5, 2018
South West, CT
So my old axe broke. The Fiskars x27 was on sale at amazon for $45 but I missed the sale. So I just popped over to Home Depot and snagged one for about $10 more. All I have to say is wow. I held it in my hand awhile back and didn't feel all that impressed. But once I bought it and started using it I see why people love it. I swear there is some sort of magic in this thing. I can take easy swings and it's like the wood gets scared and shoots apart. I was going to get a lesser axe then a sledge and some new wedges. I'm glad I just got the good axe. No wedges or sledge needed. MVIMG_20191026_155340.jpg

I also picked up a fiskars pole pruner. I am equally impressed with how well this works. Fiskars seems to make top notch products.

I love my X27. I had a warranty claim because of a hairline crack that developed in it near the edge. Fiskars sent me a new one! I recently bought a Fiskars rake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: brenndatomu
I’ve been pretty good this yr, hoping Santa brings me the 14” hatchet. The x27 is too big to keep in living room for random spot checks with moisture meter, so I’m told!

I don't know the full history but I have 2 of the Gerber/ Fisker hatchets that I have had for a good while now. They really hold an edge and the handles do seem indestructible. Have a Gerber/ Fiskers hooked machete too that is one of the most used tools I have. I know 5 people that have bought one right after they used mine. Great stuff.

Love the fiskars, have had the x27 for years, just got the hatchet. the hollow handle lets you generate a lot of head speed for that wicked edge

I’ve had one their X7 hatchets for 15 years or so and it was like you said about the X27, I couldn’t believe how sharp it was and how easy it was to take small limbs off of trees with it when I first got it. I’ve also gotten a few other Fiskars axes when Amazon has had them on sale, love them all! One of my alerts on Slickdeals.net is for Fiskars and that’s how I’ve found out when the axes were on sale.

Damn, my X-27 is lying in the woods somewhere..fell off the quad. I just got a regular ax this time..pretty sure it will work about the same.
hoping Santa brings me the 14” hatchet. The x27 is too big to keep in living room for random spot checks with moisture meter, so I’m told!
001.JPG 003.JPG

The hatchet is pretty nice. I got it for splitting kindling off of splits on the porch, but I ended up taking it into the woods too, as it holds an edge well enough to be a cutter as well as a splitter.

I found the X27 to be no better at splitting than an old 8# maul, but it does the same work with a lighter head. That's no big deal at first, but if you swing it a thousand times a day, you come to really appreciate it.

The hatchet is pretty nice. I got it for splitting kindling off of splits on the porch, but I ended up taking it into the woods too, as it holds an edge well enough to be a cutter as well as a splitter.
I found the X27 to be no better at splitting than an old 8# maul, but it does the same work with a lighter head. That's no big deal at first, but if you swing it a thousand times a day, you come to really appreciate it.
I use the hatchet to peel punky sapwood off of Oak sometimes, if it's easy enough.
My go-to is a 6# maul, then I'll break out the 8# if I get a stubborn round. The 8# will plow through stuff that a lightweight ax won't touch. Lots easier to swing the 6#, and it's usually enough. Then again I'm an old man so I don't try to hand-split unless it's pretty easy. I've always got an ax with me, too, for stuff that's easy enough.

i'll add that the X27 is amazing....keep it as sharp as you can, it makes a big difference.

changed my splitting habits for good. I used to use a monster maul....never again.

I used to use a monster maul....never again.
Hard to beat the Monstah for bludgeoning your way through the stubborn stuff. But yeah, at my advanced age I just use wedges, a sledge, and a maul that doesn't weigh a ton and a half. ;lol

I replaced my cheap Mexican maul with an X27 a few years ago after having to take days off from splitting because of threatening tendonitis. No joint problems swinging the Fiskars all day, and it splits most wood easily. I keep a big Stihl maul around for a few big jobs.

I have the Fiskars hatchet, too, which is nice for processing kindling. I have one of the middle-length splitting axes, too, that I don't use much because it is too short for me to swing 2 handed and just a bit too large for using like a hatchet.

I had the X27 head break off after a few years of use, and Fiskars sent out a replacement after I sent them pictures.

I put the Fiskars X27 on my Christmas list, and got one. Today I took it out and did some splitting with it. It is sure a lot easier to wield than the 8lb. splitting maul I have used for years. It made quick work of some black ash that I worked up today. I like that it is so light, it is easer for me to get accurate hits. So far it seems to be living up to the hype! It will be getting a workout over the next couple of months.

My SILs were in the woods, cutting invasives, and found mine which fell off the quad a couple years ago. It cleaned up pretty well but the side that was lying in the mud is pitted. I haven't tried it again yet but I think it will work fine..
20191220_163547.jpg 20191221_124901.jpg

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Like dimples in a golf ball...it will just slice through the air easier.:cool:

Fiskars Warranty Service is top notch. Between our farm and the farm at work we have just about every Fiskars implement in multiples. I’ve only ever needed to make one warranty claim for the head on the pole pruner and it was taken care of right away. I can’t say enough good things about their products.

Got myself an X27. I like it! Broke it in on some pine. Will have to try it on some oak. Just might be doing more hand splitting now...

Surprised to see this is only 6.3 lbs. I have an 8 lb maul, don't recall what brand but I guess heavier isn't necessarily better. I may buy a Fiskars X27, I trust these forums for reviews

I like my fiskars, but the hook at the end of the handle makes my hand sore like no other splitting tools I've used.