fiskars x27 . . . believe the hype

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
While not wood related, I have their bypass loppers. Nice tool and my wife has their utility shears. Again nice stuff.

Yeah, the x27 is my go-to splitter for sure. Just spent a couple hours with it yesterday. I've used it for over a decade now. I'm not impressed with it as I once was, just sadly disappointed in everything else. I'm open to something being better, but haven't found it yet. In fact, I bought another x27 when it was on sale just because. I no longer worry about over-swings. I don't miss all that often, but the first x27 still works as the day I first swung it--maybe even a bit better, as my aim has improved over the years ;-)

I have been reading a lost on here about this thing. I own other Gerber/Fisker tools and and very happy with them.
As I am splitting some EAB ash yesterday, I tried my Razorback splitting axe I picked up at the hardware store a year ago. It works ok on small and lighter stuff like cherry or maple, but doesn't touch the ash regardless of the diameter of the wood. So I have to get the 8# maul. I would really like to have a lighter splitting axe and I mostly believe the hype lol.
Have people put this though solid ash and hickory? How does it work on them?

I just did about 1.5 cords of dead ash over the weekend with x27. I prossed about 1/2 of the wood in second picture. Most rounds only required one hit to crack them open, after that it was all one hit splits without using full force.

Attachments

• 20200111_124726.jpg
    20200111_124726.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 269
  • 20191222_085350.jpg
    20191222_085350.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
I started with the 8# iso core. I think the x27 is better. I pounded away piece of poplar about 32” across that had been sawed in half. The mail just didn’t do anything. There were some big limbs and knots. 5 swings with the x27 and I got it broken down to sizes I can burn. I also like the x17. I can split one handed. With it. Makes short work of kindling and has enough weight that it isn’t a hatchet but can be used single handed.

I started with the 8# iso core. I think the x27 is better. I pounded away piece of poplar about 32” across that had been sawed in half. The mail just didn’t do anything. There were some big limbs and knots. 5 swings with the x27 and I got it broken down to sizes I can burn. I also like the x17. I can split one handed. With it. Makes short work of kindling and has enough weight that it isn’t a hatchet but can be used single handed.
I have both and a gas splitter. My brothers and my buddies think I’m nuts but with straight Ash and the x27 I’m done with the pile of wood before I can even gas up the splitter, move it to the pile, and put it back away.
Splitting axes kill easy splitting wood. Ash. Maple. Etc. Its so light! (And I’m not a young man.)

Now if I have to swing the heavy 8 lb isocore or any heavy maul for wood much... the gas splitter comes out.

My love for the Fiskars products started a few years ago when my wife and I rented a cabin for the week in the UP of Michigan. The owners barely had enough split wood but had tons of rounds of maple and birch. They also had an X-27 in the wood shed. Used it to split the rounds, loved it, when we got back I bought the X-25 (shorter) splitting ax because the handle fit me better. Later on I got the Isocore maul. Both have served me very well and I love them! I only bring out the maul for anything that could be knotty or twisted, or any kind of pine.

I just did about 1.5 cords of dead ash over the weekend with x27. I prossed about 1/2 of the wood in second picture. Most rounds only required one hit to crack them open, after that it was all one hit splits without using full force.

Seeing the rounds in the second photo makes me wish I had that to get to work on right now. It appears you're splitting on pavement, and I just realized that's another good reason for a tire. If you miss (been there, done that) the tire would likely take the hit rather that the pavement.

Meant to say: the tire would likely take the hit rather than the pavement. Also even when striking for a good split the blade could hit the pavement without the tire.

There is another stump under the tire. Main purpose of the tire is to hold splits together after they are split or need to be split few more times. Saves a bunch of time not having to bend down to pick them up after each strike.

This ash project is all done, just need to move it all to backyard... I hate this part!

Attachments

• 20200202_112436.jpg
    20200202_112436.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 244
  • 20200202_112424.jpg
    20200202_112424.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: kennyp2339
Has anyone had an issue with folding on the blade? Im getting a lot of folding just from normal splitting and I know there isn't anything in the wood.

I have had a couple small spots. Not sure if the kid hit anything. I picked up a sharpener to keep it sharp.

I have had a couple small spots. Not sure if the kid hit anything. I picked up a sharpener to keep it sharp.

What kind of sharpener did you get? I've been using a grinding wheel, works ok but probably not as well as something designed for the blade.

There is another stump under the tire. Main purpose of the tire is to hold splits together after they are split or need to be split few more times. Saves a bunch of time not having to bend down to pick them up after each strike.

This ash project is all done, just need to move it all to backyard... I hate this part!

Wow that's a lot without using a gas splitter! If you have a truck that will fit into the backyard I'd move it with that rather than many wheelbarrow trips.

What kind of sharpener did you get? I've been using a grinding wheel, works ok but probably not as well as something designed for the blade.
A couple passes with a flat file on both sides after a few splitting sessions keeps the x27 in good working order. The steel is definitely softer than some of my other splitting tools. That being said, I've probably split more than 70 cords of wood with it. I don't think it will be an heirloom tool that my great-grandson will use, but it may very well outlast me.

Fiskars sharpener made for their wood tools.

My X 27 broke again. I checked my receipts: I got three years out of the first one, and three years out of the second one. I split about 8 or 10 cords a year, and treat my tools well.

Fiskars now requires you to return the handle to them for warranty claims. So I did. About ten days later, I got a package from them. It contained a pruner. I emailed them and explained the mixup. Today, I got a package from them. It contained an IsoCore maul. I just emailed them again. We'll see if I ever get an X 27. I realize today's date, but I'm not making this up, I promise.

In the meantime, I went out and got a Granfors Bruks Large Long splitting axe. I like it a lot. :)

I replaced my cheap Mexican maul with an X27 a few years ago after having to take days off from splitting because of threatening tendonitis. No joint problems swinging the Fiskars all day, and it splits most wood easily. I keep a big Stihl maul around for a few big jobs.

I have the Fiskars hatchet, too, which is nice for processing kindling. I have one of the middle-length splitting axes, too, that I don't use much because it is too short for me to swing 2 handed and just a bit too large for using like a hatchet.

I had the X27 head break off after a few years of use, and Fiskars sent out a replacement after I sent them pictures.

Reactions: andym
My X 27 broke again. I checked my receipts: I got three years out of the first one, and three years out of the second one. I split about 8 or 10 cords a year, and treat my tools well.

Fiskars now requires you to return the handle to them for warranty claims. So I did. About ten days later, I got a package from them. It contained a pruner. I emailed them and explained the mixup. Today, I got a package from them. It contained an IsoCore maul. I just emailed them again. We'll see if I ever get an X 27. I realize today's date, but I'm not making this up, I promise.

In the meantime, I went out and got a Granfors Bruks Large Long splitting axe. I like it a lot. :)
wow--this is disheartening. I hope Fiskars doesn't go the way of Craftsman. I was lucky to inherit a few Craftsman hand tools from my grandfather--they seem damn near indestructible. I thought I'd commit to the brand given this and bought a pick, axe, and a couple other things. Some were single-use tools. Yeah Sears (when they were open) would replace them, but the steel was crap. I don't even consider buying Craftsman stuff now.

I'll have to look into that Fiskars sharpener, I run a file across mine as I noticed the steel is pretty soft but I haven't been that happy with the edge I get. It's a good tool though.

I was lucky to inherit a few Craftsman hand tools from my grandfather--they seem damn near indestructible...

My parents gave me a Craftsman tool box set in 1977 when I graduated from college. I still have all of the original tools, of course added to the collection but nothing from the original set is defective. I guess back then they had quality that they don't now. An Ace Hardware employee said they're going to be phasing out Craftsman and going to another brand. Never bought Craftsman axes, I've been fortunate the tools I did buy held up.

There's one Sears still in my area. I hope they'll still around but now I really wonder with the financial situation so many companies are
facing now.

Last edited:
I've used one of the "winged" head fiberglass handle splitting axes for years, many cords of wood and always liked how it blows wood apart. I've had to epoxy the head back on a couple of times. The head just came off and this time the part of the handle that goes in the head was shattered. I went to buy a new one and all they had was the Fiskars X27. It was almost $60 but it does say virtually unbreakable. I was skeptical since the head is narrower but reviews looked good so I bought it. Just tried it out and damn!! I had some tough stuff I'd put back on the pile for the splitter I rent each spring. forked pieces, super knotty etc. It is so impressive how it made short work of them. So glad I bought this. It is lighter and really easy to swing. I highly recommend!

My parents gave me a Craftsman tool box set in 1977 when I graduated from college. I still have all of the original tools, of course added to the collection but nothing from the original set is defective. I guess back then they had quality that they don't now. An Ace Hardware employee said they're going to be phasing out Craftsman and going to another brand. Never bought Craftsman axes, I've been fortunate the tools I did buy held up.

There's one Sears still in my area. I hope they'll still around but now I really wonder with the financial situation so many companies are
facing now.

Craftsman has been around since 1927, but they have never made a tool.

Just like Kenmore, it's a store brand. They hire a company to make a run of tools labeled Craftsman, but there is no telling who will get hired to make the next run.

With Kenmore you can at least look it up and see who made your appliance. I doubt there's a practical way to do that for hand tools.