Flame on Stove is very high and out of control...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of your answer to the change in flame and build-up is the change from softwood to hardwood pellets. From my limited experience and what I`ve learned here, hardwood pellets would need more air to burn efficiently.

clinkers aren't entirely abnormal, and the tall flame isn't necessarily abnormal...is the overtemp switch tripping? Assuming the stove is clean, and none of the safeties is tripping, the unit should be within "operating range"...i can understand your concern for the tall flame, but if it happens consistantly on 4 or higher, and does so with any pellet, in a clean state of operation, its likely normalish. the high temp sensor on that unit I thi ks is along the hopper, so if it does get too hot, it will shut down. I dont usually run many of the units I deal with on high to notice, but some of the ones in my showroom can get pretty furious on higher settings, and its normal.

The overtemp has never tripped... I have been running it on day 3 on setting 3 and haven't changed it at all. It'll be interesting to see what the burn pot looks like tonight. I suppose my concern is more the burn pot clogging with ash. This only started this year and my understanding is the ash will effect the air flow which will effect the stove. If it only happens on the higher setting though I can live with that, I normally never run it over 3.

Part of your answer to the change in flame and build-up is the change from softwood to hardwood pellets. From my limited experience and what I`ve learned here, hardwood pellets would need more air to burn efficiently.
I've tried more air and it seems to control the flame better (although it is still very high) but I still get the hard ash build up in the burn pot.

I think it's normal to see clinkers when running on high. There's more fuel, and the air sometimes isn't enough to burn completely. I got them after a day or so on higher settings as well, but on 3, i can run for a week or 2 without cleaning the pot, including for restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.