Flame Shield on T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned the t5 I have, and was in the middle of redoing the living room at the same time, so didn't put it back together again until now. Everything went smoothly until I went to put the flame shield in and realized I didn't know exactly how where to put it. It is simply a plate of steel 12" by 8.5" with a bolt through it. I am including a few photos. It might not be of much use, but I prefer to keep things as they were meant to be.I thought it went underneath the baffle and spans the gap between the side rails. But it has a bolt in it with a longer piece on one side and a nut on the other. How is this placed underneath the gasket? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rick

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 175
I don't recall seeing that piece. Was the baffle taken apart?

BeGreen said:
I don't recall seeing that piece. Was the baffle taken apart?

No, and although I was not the original owner (I bought it after one year of use) the original owner did not strike me at all as someone to take something apart. Also, if you look at page 17 of the manual online, it is listed as a separate piece (#3).

Wow, I've had my baffle out a couple times and never noticed that part. It is sitting about 1.5" above the baffle. The plain edge rests on the backside lip of the airwash deflector at the front of the stove. I am guessing here, because I didn't pull the baffle, but it looks like the bolt (long) end is pointed upward toward the stove top. Look up there and see if there is slot for the bolthead to slide into, then move the whole assembly toward the front of the stove.

There is a slot towards the back of the stove (you can see it if you have your smoke pipe off). The bolt goes in there, and the sheild faces the front of the stove. I think it can really only go in one way.

BeGreen said:
Wow, I've had my baffle out a couple times and never noticed that part. It is sitting about 1.5" above the baffle. The plain edge rests on the backside lip of the airwash deflector at the front of the stove. I am guessing here, because I didn't pull the baffle, but it looks like the bolt (long) end is pointed upward toward the stove top. Look up there and see if there is slot for the bolthead to slide into, then move the whole assembly toward the front of the stove.

Bingo. Thanks so much to both you and Hemlock for helping me out here. Hopefully get the stove going this afternoon. Thanks again.

durutti123 said:
BeGreen said:

Bingo. Thanks so much to both you and Hemlock for helping me out here. Hopefully get the stove going this afternoon. Thanks again.

I have a T-5 but have never had it apart as it is new.. Sorry I couldn't help you..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.