Flame won't kick on with Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shojeel

Nov 1, 2016
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I am having some trouble with my Hearthstone Gas Fireplace. I have replaced the T-stat and it still won't kick on. The pilot light is always lit and I can get the whole stove to light manually by turning it to ON. If I switch it to T-Stat, nothing but the pilot flame.

Here is the model of my stove:

Any suggestions on what I could do to try and fix it before calling out a technician?

It could be the switch. Make sure the spade connectors on the rear are tightly connected.
If they are. use a paperclip or a small piece of wire to jump the terminals on the switch.
If it fires, it's the switch.

It could be the switch. Make sure the spade connectors on the rear are tightly connected.
If they are. use a paperclip or a small piece of wire to jump the terminals on the switch.
If it fires, it's the switch.
Daksy,

Thanks for the reply. The stove fully turns on when the switch under the stove is set to On (There are 3 options - On, Off, T-Stat). Strangely enough, I set the switch to T-Stat last night before bed and when I woke up this morning the stove was on. I have been watching it for a few hours now and it have been turning on and off when the room hits the temperatures I have set on the new T-Stat I installed a couple of days ago.

Could my Thermopile be going?

You can test it with a multimeter set to millivolts (mV).
Turn the burner off, but keep the pilot on.
Set the meter to Volts DC & touch the probes to the terminal screws
marked TH & TH-TP. The reading SHOULD be 550mV +/- 20 (this can vary).
Turn the burner on. The reading should drop about 200 mV or so.
Let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.