flames die down when i shut the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kk2002

Sep 30, 2008
western PA
I just got a englander 30ncl. It seems like when i shut the door all the way, with the flue all the way open, the flames almost totally die down. And suggestions? My pipe goes straight up. I had the same pipe hooked up to the old wood burner and it worked fine and the pipes are all clean.

OK, i am editing this to say I HAVE NO PATIENCE! LOL Now that it has been left alone to burn for about an hour, it seems to be doing fine. I had an older stove with a solid door, so this bigger stove with a glass door is going to be a learning process for me. I am already driving the family nuts cause i just couldn't wait to light it, and honestly we had a little chill here in western PA this morning, so of course, i just had to light it.

The biggest things i am looking for in this stove is longer burn times, not having to "fuss" with it so much and well, yeah LONGER BURN TIMES. From reading on here, i am learning that you have to really get used to it and learn how to work it.

Hello, KK.

One thing that you'll learn as you go, is that a wood fire is a sensitive, dynamic process. If you introduce major instantaneous changes to the environment of that fire, you may turn it into a smoldering mess. A healthy fire requires a good strong draft, as I'm sure you know. It requires a good amount of heat. If you have a fire in there and the stove is still warming up, then it may be too early to close the door.

Rather than closing the door tight, see if you can close it, but not latch it. Leave a little air to leak out around the door for a while. As the fire matures, then latch it closed.

Remember, baby steps.

Also, if the moisture content of your wood is high, you'll have trouble with keeping the fire going. Wet wood will produce much less heat which translates into much less draft which means you need to have a bigger opening (like the door) to keep a flame.

Hope this helps....

Dan

Another possibility is weak draft.. My new century FW300010 did the same thing and has proved much more sensitive to draft and wood quality. Give it a good chimney height, some dry wood, and hang on.. See what your manual says for mininum chimney height, mine was 15', I only had 12', added another 3' and vola!

Status
Not open for further replies.