flashing and roof profiles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
I have a normal profile metal roof. Probably the most common profile in 36 inch width. Not the round corrugated profile. I got an overpriced flashing unit for Duratech 6 inch. I am going thru the roof about 3 ft from the outside end of the roof panels.Measuring from the inside of the wall ,its about
24 inches horizontal from the sheetrock.Roughly. The flashing unit is quite large and aluminum. I think I could have made my own.
Anyway there is the issue of the ribs on the roofing. If I try to flatten it ,it might crack. I couldn't hand form the unit to the ribs with any real precision.
I could cut the roof panel off and slide the unit under it and replace the bottom piece over it and caulk the heck out of it. What would a pro installer do?
Any pics and articles link appreciated also.

The Excel flashing is one of the better ones for solving metal roof seams. It is raised on the lower side which gets notched.

Excel_metal flashing.jpg

I have a normal profile metal roof. Probably the most common profile in 36 inch width. Not the round corrugated profile. I got an overpriced flashing unit for Duratech 6 inch. I am going thru the roof about 3 ft from the outside end of the roof panels.Measuring from the inside of the wall ,its about
24 inches horizontal from the sheetrock.Roughly. The flashing unit is quite large and aluminum. I think I could have made my own.
Anyway there is the issue of the ribs on the roofing. If I try to flatten it ,it might crack. I couldn't hand form the unit to the ribs with any real precision.
I could cut the roof panel off and slide the unit under it and replace the bottom piece over it and caulk the heck out of it. What would a pro installer do?
Any pics and articles link appreciated also.
Make a cut across at the middle of the chimney the width of the flashing. Slide the top of the flashing up through it.

the excel is too hi priced...big surprise....maybe I could slide the top under the roofing and just replace the piece I cut off
with a flat piece of flashing or 2 if they don't come that wide..would that work ???