Flex liner connector

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any type of connector that connects one flex liner to another flex liner? Bother liners are the same diameter.
if the liners are the same brand yes if not then none that will allow you to do it and meet code no. All of your liner and components need to be tested to work together to meet code. But if they are the same types of liner and the connector fits correctly I don't see any safety issue. but technically it doesn't work

at the connection would you seal it with furnace cement or leave it connected with no cement in case you have to clean it?
Furnace cement will crack and fall out within the first year so I would not bother.

Furnace cement will crack and fall out within the first year so I would not bother.

so basically my problem is that about 1ft above the woodstove there is a 2inch deep dent in my flex liner. The inside isn't damaged because I can stick my hand up there and feel that it is smooth and nothing is punctured. However, I'm wondering if I should try to pop the dent out of the liner, leave it as is, or cut the liner above the dent and connect a new piece of flex liner using a connector (I have a few feet of liner left over from the install). What would you do in this situation?

Also, just to clarify - the liner isn't crunched or anything - that dent is the only damage there is.

thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, you can carefully try to bang out the dent from the inside. Just don't get aggressive and don't worry if it doesn't return to perfectly round.

here is a look from the inside

Attachments

• WP_20161010_16_47_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161010_16_47_49_Pro.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 151
I would cut that section off personally. But Iwould not put the splice at the bottom.

At the top where it will see less heat.
when you say splice it, you mean cut the liner and attach a new peice of liner right? I guess I'm confused on what you mean. If I cut and connect a new piece like 1.5ft above the stove connection, that would be too much heat for it?

when you say splice it, you mean cut the liner and attach a new peice of liner right? I guess I'm confused on what you mean. If I cut and connect a new piece like 1.5ft above the stove connection, that would be too much heat for it?
Yes cut it and attach a new piece using an appropriate connector. And I would not put the splice that close to the stove no. It would probably be ine but I would be more comfortable with it further up the liner.

Yes cut it and attach a new piece using an appropriate connector. And I would not put the splice that close to the stove no. It would probably be ine but I would be more comfortable with it further up the liner.

hmm ok, so I mean in this situation where I can't put it up higher due to it being in a tight spot, what should I do?

hmm ok, so I mean in this situation where I can't put it up higher due to it being in a tight spot, what should I do?
You should have cleared the obstruction so you didn't dent the liner in the first place. At this point if it is stuck your choices are leave it the way it is and hope things are ok or yank it out clear the obstruction and reinstall.

You should have cleared the obstruction so you didn't dent the liner in the first place. At this point if it is stuck your choices are leave it the way it is and hope things are ok or yank it out clear the obstruction and reinstall.

can I try to work out the dents or will it weaken the steel?

can I try to work out the dents or will it weaken the steel?
it will weaken it some yes. Will it be enough to hurt anything? I don't know probably not but I would not chance it on a customer's house

also, just out of curiosity, why is having the splice close to the stove bad? How is it any different than having an angled adapter or something connected?

also, just out of curiosity, why is having the splice close to the stove bad? How is it any different than having an angled adapter or something connected?
A connection is a spot for a potential failure the appliance adapter is a necessary connection a splice is not and when it is near the bottom where it gets exposed to more heat there is more potential for failure. Like I said it would probably be fine there but I would not do it myself.

A connection is a spot for a potential failure the appliance adapter is a necessary connection a splice is not and when it is near the bottom where it gets exposed to more heat there is more potential for failure. Like I said it would probably be fine there but I would not do it myself.

ok - thank you for all your help. Maybe i'll just leave it and keep an eye on it or perhaps find a longer appliance connector that will reach and connect just above that spot.

Just thinking - If I cut off the dented area on my liner - what if I get a 18 inch section of rigid liner that goes from my stove up to a 15 degree fixed elbow that would attach to the flex liner just beyond the dent near the damper area. Is that a better option than splicing the liner or is it essentially the same situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.