Flex Liner install issue with tee/snout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I installed a 5.5 flex liner in a masonry chimney that terminates through the wall with a tee snout. Last night I poured the insulation down the 27' chimney, when I was done I came back in the house to get cleaned up and noticed some of the insulation in the snout. After looking at it closer I have a gap between the tee snout and the main body on the sides with the clamp. I don't know if this is a case of just poor fit and finish or if I have something wrong. I'm not sure if I can tighten the clamp more and pull the ends of the snout toward the body more or not. I didn't notice the gap until the insulation was poured down so I'm pretty limited and ways I can fix this issue since the chimney is full of insulation and the snout in mortared in the wall.

I'm going to try to tighten the clamp more tonight if that doesn't work I'll try to bend the body opening into the snout to help close the gap.

Can I use furnace cement inside the liner snout/main body to fill the remaining gap?

Any other suggestions?

You should be able to adjust the attachment mechanism enuff to get a good fit...
Furnace cement is not required for the assembly...

DAKSY said:
You should be able to adjust the attachment mechanism enuff to get a good fit...

That's what I'm hoping. I wasn't even going to post about it but sitting here at work thinking about it started bothering me. :)

That tee should have a lip or flange, make sure that is aligned first, if it's not you might have a gap.

rdust said:
DAKSY said:

That's what I'm hoping. I wasn't even going to post about it but sitting here at work thinking about it started bothering me. :)

I was concerned about the slight gap (although doesn't sound as bad as yours) so I pushed refractory cement all around the lip where the snout meets up with it. I put some more furnace cement on it this year after cleaning my chimney, but I probably wouldn't have had to. It was easy to do and offered a little piece of mind, so I didn't mind doing it.

DAKSY is the pro and I am just a Harry Homeowner but I have furnace cemented the snout connection on the three that I have done. I am bonkers about not having air sucked into a chimney except through the stove. Seen too many slick creo spots where air was cooling the flow at a a joint.

BrotherBart said:
DAKSY is the pro and I am just a Harry Homeowner but I have furnace cemented the snout connection on the three that I have done. I am bonkers about not having air sucked into a chimney except through the stove. Seen too many slick creo spots where air was cooling the flow at a a joint.

Hey, BB!
Thanx for the Kudos, but from the amount of posts you have, & the answers I've seen from you, I'd bow to your expertise ANY day of the week.
Whether you you consider yourself a PRO or not, you're a good source of information & quite knowledgeable in this Forum.
I agree that the cold spots will be creosote magnets, but these tee/snout configurations shouldn't require any additional
sealing, unless the get mahtzoed (tm) during shipment or install...
I also agree that if you have a gap that WON'T seal with the mechanical clamp, ya gotta do what it takes to make it work.
As someone else posted, if it has to be done yearly, so be it.
This is especially so in the situation the OP is in.
He's kinda stuck with what he's got, since he's already packed his flue...

I was able to tighten the clamp up some but there was no way to seal it completely without really tearing into it. I think if I would've pushed the ends of the snout that have the clamp together slightly before installing I would've been better off, live and learn I guess. I used some furnace cement around the joint and everything seems good. I'll check it in a month after burning some and check it out.

MagnaFlex said:
That tee should have a lip or flange, make sure that is aligned first, if it's not you might have a gap.

Top and bottom have a lip the sides do not on this one. When/if there is a next time I will be using your stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.