Flex liner shrunk/shortened

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KpR

Dec 17, 2014
Central NJ
Good morning everyone.
I started in on the cleaning and inspection yesterday, now that the days are getting shorter and all...
I'm running about 15' of smooth wall flex liner, down a terra cotta flue, through an old heatilator and into a PE Super insert.

When I went up to inspect the cap and liner connection before sweeping, I found the liner to be about 6" below where I had left it last year.
I mean, the liner was no longer attached by the hose clamp on the top plate, but was in the terra cotta flue, as if it had shrunk. It had previously had about 2" of clearance above the hose clamp on the top plate when I tightened it up last Fall.
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Something similar happened a couple of years ago and I tugged the liner back up to the top plate and tightened it on. I have sinced replaced that liner with the double/smooth wall flex liner referenced above.

I know these liners are supposed to expand and contract but this seems a little extreme, doesn't it?

I am thinking of just attaching a quick connector like the one below and adding the difference in leftover liner I still have.
https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/round-liner-to-liner-quick-connector.php

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I doubt it has shrunk probably just sagged. Pull it back up and resupport it. Also keep an close eye on that liner. That type has durability issues

Reactions: KpR