Flex pipe - is this statement correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Received from an installer on a quote I recently have gotten. I questioned the 2-ply flex pipe, this is his answer.

"The 2-ply liner that we install is a smooth interior wall liner that has a .012 thickness. The Forever Flex Pre-Insulated liner made by Copperfield, which is what Olympia is now, is only a .006 thickness, so it is a thinner liner. They do not pre-insulate any of the thicker liners that they put out, so any liner over that would need to have an insulation wrap on it to be installed"

I was trying to get away from wrapping anything. These diameters do not seem to match some of the other posts on here.

Last edited:
Received from an installer on a quote I recently have gotten. I questioned the 2-ply flex pipe, this is his answer.

"The 2-ply liner that we install is a smooth interior wall liner that has a .012 thickness. The Forever Flex Pre-Insulated liner made by Copperfield, which is what Olympia is now, is only a .006 thickness, so it is a thinner liner. They do not pre-insulate any of the thicker liners that they put out, so any liner over that would need to have an insulation wrap on it to be installed"

I was trying to get away from wrapping anything. These diameters do not seem to match some of the other posts on here.
Not even remotely true. They preinsulated their hybrid liner which is .01" thick. And other companies pre insulate heavy wall. 2 ply liners are made from the same .005 or .006" metal they just have 2 layers and are not durable at all. There is also nothing wrong with wrapping in the field. That is what we usually do it takes 20 mins or so.

thanks bholler, what flex pipe should I tell them I want quoted? What do you recommend? It is 15' through the damper that will be cut out. The flue is very large so plenty of room after you get through the damper cut. Will wait to hear recommendations before writing back to them. Thanks!

thanks bholler, what flex pipe should I tell them I want quoted? What do you recommend? It is 15' through the damper that will be cut out. The flue is very large so plenty of room after you get through the damper cut. Will wait to hear recommendations before writing back to them. Thanks!
If they are using Olympia and want to use preinsulated use their hybrid liner. Anyone else either their midweight or heavy wall.

They are also wrong that olympia is Copperfield now. Olympia bought Copperfield from the holding company that owns home depot.

I was the one who wanted the preinsulated, they want to wrap. Either one a better way?

Just stay away from the 2 - ply is what I am going to tell them.

Reactions: bholler
I have been told "as alternatives to the Smoothwall liner, we could install a HeavyLite 304 liner at no additional cost, which is .010 thickness, or we could install a HeavyFlex 304 liner at an additional cost of $370.00, which is .015 thickness. Both would still be wrapped with insulation for the install".

Are either of these two choices a good one?

Thanks, Dave

I have been told "as alternatives to the Smoothwall liner, we could install a HeavyLite 304 liner at no additional cost, which is .010 thickness, or we could install a HeavyFlex 304 liner at an additional cost of $370.00, which is .015 thickness. Both would still be wrapped with insulation for the install".

Are either of these two choices a good one?

Thanks, Dave
Yes both are far superior to the 2ply junk