Flexible liner not attached to the cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmat

Oct 1, 2015
Upper Falls,Maryland
image.jpeg
My flexible liner installed last year by an installer is not attached to anything at the cap. I can see insulation behind the liner. Worried about rain getting in behind liner. It seems there is not liner slack to pull up to somehow attach to cap. Afraid to pull too hard. Any suggestions. Pic included this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The liner should be several inches higher and that band you see in the top plate should be tightened around it allowing the top plate to support the liner from the top. How long is it top to bottom?

View attachment 165272 My flexible liner installed last year by an installer is not attached to anything at the cap. I can see insulation behind the liner. Worried about rain getting in behind liner. It seems there is not liner slack to pull up to somehow attach to cap. Afraid to pull too hard. Any suggestions. Pic included this time.
Curious also as mine is installed the same way. Not attached to the cap in any way.

New to me 1970's ranch with a century cw2500 insert that we moved into in july.

Just had a sweep out to clean it. He didn't mention any problem. I noticed it when replacing some vent stack flashing last week.

The liner should be several inches higher and that band you see in the top plate should be tightened around it allowing the top plate to support the liner from the top. How long is it top to bottom?

What he said.

Reactions: Smoked
To both of you now, I don't know if they were attached and slipped out or they were never tall enough to begin with. Makes me want to climb up on the roof and give the screw a little bit of a turn.

Reactions: Anumber1
You can always add a 6 inch connector at the top to connect it to the cap (I have that and it works fine). Best is to have a top plate on the crown to avoid rain and debris coming in. I have both.

You need to take the top plate off and see if the liner slipped down. And then if you can pull it back up and through the top plate and tighten the clamp around it to secure it.

To both of you now, I don't know if they were attached and slipped out or they were never tall enough to begin with. Makes me want to climb up on the roof and give the screw a little bit of a turn.
Yep. I'm going back up there tomorrow now to check it out.

I gave it a look because I was up there anyway. It didn't look right to me but I am no pro chimney sweep or expert in any way. Didn't look right tho.

Seems the woodstove/chimney liner install in my house is pretty suspect so far.

That is why i always stick a few rivets in to back up the clamp.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I might have some some at the bottom to play with but I'm not sure what to use to pull it up with. I don't want to tear it at the top. I'm waiting for a rep from the the installing company to get back to me but am not very confident in their ability since I found caulk sitting around the rim of the liner where it is sitting now which says to me that it was never pulled through the band in the top plate.

I might have some some at the bottom to play with but I'm not sure what to use to pull it up with. I don't want to tear it at the top. I'm waiting for a rep from the the installing company to get back to me but am not very confident in their ability since I found caulk sitting around the rim of the liner where it is sitting now which says to me that it was never pulled through the band in the top plate.
From the top, lower a rope with a hook down (inside the liner) and pull it up slowly.

I remembered the first time we had our ss liner cleaned from the bottom up going outside after and seeing the cap on the ground.Seems that the installer never fastened the cap to the liner and it poped off when they pushed the cleaning rod up to the top.Since the guy cleaning it was from the store where we bought the stove quickly got his ladder and took the cap up to the top and fastened it correctly to the liner with a few screws.

I remembered the first time we had our ss liner cleaned from the bottom up going outside after and seeing the cap on the ground.Seems that the installer never fastened the cap to the liner and it poped off when they pushed the cleaning rod up to the top.Since the guy cleaning it was from the store where we bought the stove quickly got his ladder and took the cap up to the top and fastened it correctly to the liner with a few screws.
upload_2015-10-26_20-50-59.jpeg
I have this Roman Helmet cap, with a custom made top plate for an exact fit for my chimney crown. Turns with the wind. Have to remove it each time when I clean the liner from the top. I have easy access to my roof top. It works perfectly.

Reactions: stanleyjohn
Not to seem stupid but what type of hook? I've also seen a round device online that is used to assist in pulling liners up through chimney. Would that work if I can get it attached. That picture is with the top cap taken off but I think the whole cap assembly might need to be room we so I can adequately get at the liner. Very frustrating since the local company that we have dealt with for years with pellet stoves is the same one who installed the wood stove and liner. I expected better. If you want it done right, do it yourself I think is the lesson here.

Not to seem stupid but what type of hook? I've also seen a round device online that is used to assist in pulling liners up through chimney. Would that work if I can get it attached. That picture is with the top cap taken off but I think the whole cap assembly might need to be room we so I can adequately get at the liner. Very frustrating since the local company that we have dealt with for years with pellet stoves is the same one who installed the wood stove and liner. I expected better. If you want it done right, do it yourself I think is the lesson here.
Did they say how long it would take to get out there to look at it? Is this a masonry fireplace? If so and if you don't have a block of plate, you will be losing a bunch of heat up the chimney. I would be insistent. If they can't get there soon, might need to get a friend to help push from the bottom but I would want them to fix it!

There are no stupid questions. I think the most successful way to do it is with a double hook, so you can pull it "straight" without pulling one side up and the other side gets "stuck" in the masonry chimney. I assume there are places to buy these. I have seen a guy who attached 2 hooks onto a rope. A second person hooked them at the bottom of the liner and the person on the roof started pulling slowly to just the extra distance needed to do any adjustments. I guess there are other members here who have experience/better ideas. I am not an expert, just paid attention to what I have seen other people doing. Check Youtube, you might find something there.

Edit: or ask bholler on this forum, he probably has a solution.

Last edited:
There are no stupid questions. I think the most successful way to do it is with a double hook, so you can pull it "straight" without pulling one side up and the other side gets "stuck" in the masonry chimney. I assume there are places to buy these. I have seen a guy who attached 2 hooks onto a rope. A second person hooked them at the bottom of the liner and the person on the roof started pulling slowly to just the extra distance needed to do any adjustments. I guess there are other members here who have experience/better ideas. I am not an expert, just paid attention to what I have seen other people doing. Check Youtube, you might find something there.

Edit: or ask bholler on this forum, he probably has a solution.
Am I missing something? Is the liner attached to an insert? By pulling it up, won't it just be short at the bottom?

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Am I missing something? Is the liner attached to an insert? By pulling it up, won't it just be short at the bottom?
If the liner has just enough slack to get it attached to the cap, it might be just enough. My initial suggestion was to use a 6 inch (or so) connector at the top between the liner and the cap. Seems much easier to me. But if the OP wants to pull it, so be it. He knows his situation better than I do.

Edit; after replacing stoves, I was in a similar situation. I used a 6 inch connector at the top to get the extra wiggle room and I was done in 10 minutes.

Not to seem stupid but what type of hook? I've also seen a round device online that is used to assist in pulling liners up through chimney. Would that work if I can get it attached. That picture is with the top cap taken off but I think the whole cap assembly might need to be room we so I can adequately get at the liner. Very frustrating since the local company that we have dealt with for years with pellet stoves is the same one who installed the wood stove and liner. I expected better. If you want it done right, do it yourself I think is the lesson here
Did they say how long it would take to get out there to look at it? Is this a masonry fireplace? If so and if you don't have a block of plate, you will be losing a bunch of heat up the chimney. I would be insistent. If they can't get there soon, might need to get a friend to help push from the bottom but I would want them to fix it!
They haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm not running stove yet, too warm here in Maryland but I'm more worried about rain getting in behind liner at this point. I don't have a block off plate. It was working on it when I ran into this mess.

They haven't gotten back to me yet ( rep off Monday) but I'm not running stove yet as its too warm in Maryland right now. I'm more concerned about when it rains with the possibility of water getting behind liner onto insulation around liner. Was working on block off plate when I found this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.