Floating hearth for PE Super 27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
Hey all,

In the final stages of planning before installing my PE Super 27 this fall. Got the stove placement all figured out. Now I am working on finalizing up the hearth plans. Ideally it would be a self made floating hearth. Super 27 only requires ember protection. And the location where it is going is on top of our year old hard wood floor living room. So the thought is with a floating hearth we can do no damage to the floors and have flexibility in the future if we move. Central IL is not exactly a hot spot for wood stoves. Also trying to make the hearth as thin as possible while safely supporting the stove. We originally wanted to do flush hearth but damaging the wood floors has lead us to the floating hearth idea. The hearth size will be 54in wide and 48in deep. So I was thinking using a single sheet of plywood with cement board on top and slate tile on top of that. It will all be secured in place by the outside trim.

So I guess the main questions here are what thickness of plywood and cement board? And for those who have constructed a floating hearth before, how did you do it and did you like the results? Thanks for any comments.

I made my hearth from a granite remnant, once completed I used large heavy duty self adhesive felt disks to keep the floor from being damaged. You can then trim around it with some quarter round trim to hide the gap.

I like the felt suggestion. Use at least 3/4" plywood for stiffness and 1/2" cement board like Durock. Screw every 8" with 1" screws.

I made my hearth from a granite remnant, once completed I used large heavy duty self adhesive felt disks to keep the floor from being damaged. You can then trim around it with some quarter round trim to hide the gap.

I did do some inquiring to remnants but for the size I was looking they wanted almost $1000. My budget cant afford that.

There was somebody here a while back that was in a similar situation, they used a sheet of 1/4" steel painted stove black...it looked great.

There was somebody here a while back that was in a similar situation, they used a sheet of 1/4" steel painted stove black...it looked great.

Intriguing idea. I hadn't considered a metal hearth. Since my first choice was black slate, this may do just fine. I will have to call around to some sheet metal shops and get some prices.

I've seen glass used too...but you'd need a dead flat floor to pull this off IMO...wouldn't take much to break the glass when you set the stove on it if the glass wasn't directly against the floor, especially where the stove legs are setting on it. Probably would have to be tempered glass...you could even have the edges beveled...I think there are some old threads here where people have done this. Likely cheaper than steel, maybe slightly riskier though...as far as being easily damaged...

Intriguing idea. I hadn't considered a metal hearth. Since my first choice was black slate, this may do just fine. I will have to call around to some sheet metal shops and get some prices.
The steel does not need to be 1/4", 24ga or thicker will suffice though you may want thicker steel if the intent is to felt back it to protect the floor. The corners can be radiused for a more finished look.

I've seen glass used too...but you'd need a dead flat floor to pull this off IMO...wouldn't take much to break the glass when you set the stove on it if the glass wasn't directly against the floor, especially where the stove legs are setting on it. Probably would have to be tempered glass...you could even have the edges beveled...I think there are some old threads here where people have done this. Likely cheaper than steel, maybe slightly riskier though...as far as being easily damaged...

I did read an old thread from back in '14 where a member was attempting this and I did see his final glass hearth. I believe his lowest quote from a glass shop was in the ball park of $500. I would think you could get a piece of thin steel for my hearth dimensions cheaper than that.

The steel does not need to be 1/4", 24ga or thicker will suffice though you may want thicker steel if the intent is to felt back it to protect the floor. The corners can be radiused for a more finished look.

I would think a straight stone hearth may need felt backing but a piece of steel is smooth enough to be ok on its own. This is all under the assumption that it won't move with a 300 lb stove sitting on it :)

If you want a fancier look it could be done in sheet copper, though I would probably attach that to plywood with trim edging.

Reactions: brenndatomu
I did one similar with an ember protection stove where I used 1/4" durock screwed (sparingly) into the wood floor, then 304 stainless steel on top with wood trim around the sides. Worked out great, was a much lower cost option than even the store-bought premade stove boards.

see here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.