floating vinyl floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
ok, I am putting vinyl floor in my kitchen. I went to buy some and asked them the best way to lay it down. They said I didn't need anything because it is a floating vinyl. Umm, so what does this mean? Do I really not need any glue or anything? Any use this before?

I just had this installed on a kitchen remodel I am doing. They are correct, you don't need any glue, but you do need tape that is made to go under a seam if you have one. There is different kinds, one has a soft foam type back and one has a much harder back which is better and of course more expensive. Be sure to leave a 1/4"gap at the edge, it is very important, when it relaxes it will wrinkle if you don't. Hope this helps.

hmm, cool... there will be no seam so I guess I should be good to go then. I just hope I can cut some areas correctly now..

If you didn't lay Luan down first make sure the sub floor is prepared properly. Nails hammered in or removed etc.

savageactor7 said:
If you didn't lay Luan down first make sure the sub floor is prepared properly. Nails hammered in or removed etc.

Luan is down, screws are covered, ready to go I believe. I just have to get my stove and refrigerator out of there some how without ruining the subfloor.

CZARCAR said:
1/4" at the edge for expansion makes me wonder how table, chairs,cabinets &etc;. affect the floating of the floor. guess im leery so how long is the warranty?

Makes me wonder also, guess we will see. The warranty says 5 years.

When I had my new frig. delivered they had straps that went over both guys shoulders (not huge guys either) and they picked it up and walked it right in. I bet rental places or moving places have them. They are online for under $20. Here is a pic of them.

Attachments

• pro-moving strap-1.jpg
    pro-moving strap-1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 244
CZARCAR said:
1/4" at the edge for expansion makes me wonder how table, chairs,cabinets &etc;. affect the floating of the floor. guess im leery so how long is the warranty?
I have never seen a problem with it moving but you have to be very careful moving appliances over it. The cheaper it is the easier it will rip!

Get some "Magic Glider" thingys, the appliances should slide real easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.