Floor load ratings for Timberline Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rmn1993

Oct 11, 2021
New Hampshire
Hi
I am finally finalizing my plans to install my Timberline two door wood stove this summer. I am not sure exactly which model.

I believe the stove weighs approx 400-450 lbs.

I am looking to install the stove on my first floor, which is above a basement that goes the entire footprint of the house.

I am trying to make sure I do the proper load calculation on my floor to support the dead load of the stove.

Does anybody have any recommendations on doing this calculation? It seems 10-12 is a pretty standard dead load ratings for distributed loads, but that seems like I would need a ~40 sqft pad to distribute the weight properly and that almost doesn't seem right.

Thanks

If your joists are 2x8 or more I wouldnt worry about floor loading, especially if near a wall, you can put cats to stiffen the joists from below if it bothers you. Floor protection on the other hand will be an issue, you may want to read nfpa 211 for clearances

Luckily I was just checking 211 for this

1646066933760.png

1646067041863.png

Seems I just need to build something out of simple bricks and then throw a piece of sheet metal over it. Doesn't seem too challenging to make something up.