Floor protection needs to be level with hearth? (Drolet 1800i insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Would this work? https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Fire-Barrier-10-1-oz-Red-Sanded-Paintable-Latex-Caulk/3372952
Or even latex isn't flexible enough? I'm having trouble finding high temp silicone locally.

Another question:

I was thinking about making my own little extension out of a layer of plywood, two layers of half inch Durock, and tile. The R value would be more than enough. I figured it would be a little more durable than those HyC pads. What I need to know is should I screw the layers of Durock/plywood together or use tile adhesive? I especially was wondering the best way to adhere the Durock to the plywood.
Regular GE silicone II is fine. You don't need super high temp silicone for this application.
Screw the layers.

You can always put down a layer of ceramic tile on the durorock for a stronger top. There are some nice tile boards that look like wood on the market and are easy to install without grout seams. This gives a solid surface for a stove to sit on and the legs will not indent into the rock.

You can always put down a layer of ceramic tile on the durorock for a stronger top. There are some nice tile boards that look like wood on the market and are easy to install without grout seams. This gives a solid surface for a stove to sit on and the legs will not indent into the rock.

The stove doesn't even have to sit on it; the front will rest on the masonry hearth. This little pad I'm building will just get walked on a lot so I figured I would have it be more durable than one of those HyC pads.

The HyC extension pad is very rigid and steel on top. It can get walked on a lot without concern.

I bought one of those floor protectors and IMO it was crap. So i took it back asap. Also don't see how you would easily make that look nice in your situation. I would do as someone else suggested and lay cement board and then some nice tile. Easy peasy and much prettier.

Reactions: philNC
Is this flue clean enough? I bought a soot eater and ran it up and down it. The whole chimney is getting a stainless liner wrapped in half inch blanket.

The brick below the flue...what's the easiest way to clean that besides reaching up with my arm and a wire brush?

Fun fact is that I'm pretty sure all the black is from the gas logs. I believe the flue was orange when I moved in a year ago.

IMG_20191217_204501.jpg IMG_20191217_204801.jpg

I used the soot eater more on the flue; it doesn't seem to get any cleaner. I also worked on smoke chamber a lot. This is about as clean as I can get both....

IMG_20191217_232804.jpg IMG_20191217_232746.jpg

Looks pretty good to me.