Flowering crabapple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
whatdoyaknow about this as firewood? Got an email response to a craigslist offer to take down trees and he has a 10 year old "Flowering Crab." I'm assuming this falls into the apple wood category and would be nice stuff?

good firewood but very large amount of small limbs

smokinjay said:

Those are great for throwing on the ol' smoker. Adds a great flavor to whatever you're cooking.

Don't expect it to be very large. You won't get much wood from it and like jay stated, you'll have lots of limbs. Other than that, yes, it will burn good.

The other tree in the deal is an "Ash Tree, it is larger, but not over your 50" diam. limit."

I didn't really say that was my limit, I just mentioned in the CL ad that if it was a 50" tree then you probably need to call a pro to take it down. I hope it's not bigger than 3ft through. Its something of a drive, and I don't have the hauling capacity to take much each trip if it's too big.

will burn great but like someone said best suited for the smoker. You're dealing with a small caliper tree.

Skier76 said:
smokinjay said:

Those are great for throwing on the ol' smoker. Adds a great flavor to whatever you're cooking.

yep I agree

We have 2 20-30 year old flowering crabapple in our yard that are about 15-20ft tall 6-8in in diameter. Just to give you an idea. And yes lots of little branches.

pics of crabapple:

Attachments

• DSC02903.jpg
    DSC02903.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC02904.jpg
    DSC02904.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 355
pics of other tree:

Attachments

• DSC02905.jpg
    DSC02905.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC02906.jpg
    DSC02906.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 329
those's are well mantained crabs,you can bet the one on craglist is going to be full of limbs

smokinjay said:
those's are well mantained crabs,you can bet the one on craglist is going to be full of limbs
nope, those ARE the ones from CL. I just got those pics from him via email a couple of minutes ago.

Are those trees standing dead, or just bare 'cuz its Fall? The property seems nicely maintained (almost over-maintained). It would be a shame if their taking out perfectly good trees, but if they are, you might as well get the wood.

Have fun!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Crabapple is fine (I don't get it because I always thought they were pretty?!?!?)
The Ash did have some leaves but is dying according to the guy. I wonder if ditching the pines would help save it....

Is the Ash dying due to EAB? If so, the pines prolly don't have much to do with it.

Peace,
- Sequoia

If that were my yard, I'd keep the crabapple , the ash is dead or dying and lose the pines.
Pines aren't great back yard trees, as they mature they start losing branches in every storm and as they get even taller the risk of uprooting in a hurricane (probably not an issue in IL) increases.
Like Norway maples they can be great trees on a house lot until they get past 30 years old, then thier inherent maturity problems start making you wish you had never planted them.
I've planted pines to help shelter oaks (and have something green a bit sooner) and then gone back and cut down the pines when the oaks have matured enough.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
nope, those ARE the ones from CL. I just got those pics from him via email a couple of minutes ago.

jump on that!

smokinjay said:
jump on that!
I'm planning on it, even though they are 35 miles away... We travel that way for shopping all the time. Maybe I can drop wife and kids off at the store and then go work for a few hours.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
jump on that!
I'm planning on it, even though they are 35 miles away... We travel that way for shopping all the time. Maybe I can drop wife and kids off at the store and then go work for a few hours.
heck have the wife and kids help be out of there in 30 min.s

Status
Not open for further replies.