Flue Connector for VC Encore 2040 Cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hbob

Jan 20, 2024
Seattle
I am connecting an VC Encore to double wall Selkirk 6" pipe (DSP6 also sold as Metalbest). I live remote so ordering online. The stove store says I may need a special connection from the stove or it will whistle. Selkirk has two stove connectors. One is just called Stove Adapt0r (DSP6SA-1) and the other is a Flush Stove Adaptor (DSP6FSA-1). The store says some people use a single wall at the stove then adapt to the double wall to prevent whistling. Hoping to get the right adapter on the first try, although in many plumbing and venting projects that is difficult. I need to stick with Selkirk DSP double wall as my Class A already installed from before is Selkirk Metalbestos.

I am connecting an VC Encore to double wall Selkirk 6" pipe (DSP6 also sold as Metalbest). I live remote so ordering online. The stove store says I may need a special connection from the stove or it will whistle. Selkirk has two stove connectors. One is just called Stove Adapt0r (DSP6SA-1) and the other is a Flush Stove Adaptor (DSP6FSA-1). The store says some people use a single wall at the stove then adapt to the double wall to prevent whistling. Hoping to get the right adapter on the first try, although in many plumbing and venting projects that is difficult. I need to stick with Selkirk DSP double wall as my Class A already installed from before is Selkirk Metalbestos.
I had to use a single wall stove adapter to connect my double wall pipe with duravent. Looking at both of those items you pointed out it's hard to tell if one or the other is better. Im leaning toward the one that looks like it's retaining double wall characteristics while allowing you to adapt to the VC Encore stove collar. If I were you Id get both and send the one back you dont need. Im still not super happy that I had to start my entire run using a single wall adapter which is mostly covered by the double wall pipe afterwards but still, the single wall adapter still sticks out 1" exposed, and technically should have 18" clearance from combustibles.

As far as the stove whistling, that's a new one. I can only imagine if someone was just placing their stove pipe (resting it) on top of the flue collar of the stove that maybe that might be the case but who in their right mind would just place the double wall pipe on the stove collar without fastening it, which is impossible.

I had to use a single wall stove adapter to connect my double wall pipe with duravent. Looking at both of those items you pointed out it's hard to tell if one or the other is better. Im leaning toward the one that looks like it's retaining double wall characteristics while allowing you to adapt to the VC Encore stove collar. If I were you Id get both and send the one back you dont need. Im still not super happy that I had to start my entire run using a single wall adapter which is mostly covered by the double wall pipe afterwards but still, the single wall adapter still sticks out 1" exposed, and technically should have 18" clearance from combustibles.

As far as the stove whistling, that's a new one. I can only imagine if someone was just placing their stove pipe (resting it) on top of the flue collar of the stove that maybe that might be the case but who in their right mind would just place the double wall pipe on the stove collar without fastening it, which is impossible.
Thank you. I will likely do as you say and get both and return one. Its not a clearance issue for me as I was already setup with single wall clearances. Yes, it sounds like the whistling was due to sloppy connection at stove flue.