Flue glowing red

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possumguts

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Western NY
I have a Lopi Leyden installed in front of an existing fireplace. The stove thermometer is attached on top the flue collar where it exits the stove. My stove was installed by a professional and was done so with the flue pipe exiting the stove to the rear horizontally, for about 18 inches where it connects to the stainless steel single wall "T" connection of the SS liner. My concern is that when I start a fire, with the temps rising to only about 600 degrees, the SS "T" begins to glow red. I then have to close the damper and shut down the air to get it to stop. When I do this I sometimes hear a swooshing sound for about a minute or so. I spoke with a customer service rep at Lopi who said it was not a safety hazzard, but he didn't like the idea of it being connected to a "T", (he preferred an 90 degree elbow) and thought that I would probably have to replace the "T" as it would deteriorate quicker. He agreed that 600 degrees was not all that hot to be burning. I then spoke with a certified sweep, and he told me that an elbow was not the best idea, as the creosote would fall back into the elbow & stove to burn, whereas the "T" had a cleanout chamber below it. He also said that I shouldn't be to concerned about the glowing red pipe unless it continued for 2 hours or so.
Any thoughts or comments on this from our forum members would be apprediated. Am I being overly cautious?

Creosote ignited in a Tee will make it glow yellow so red ain't so bad. Maybe you just have a little creosote in your Tee.

Is the "T"lowing red an issue? Should I be concerned, it happens often and the wood I burn is cut/split/dried for 1 year (maple)?

Status
Not open for further replies.