Flue Install Quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KDubU

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Maine
Well I finally received the quote to install a 6” flue liner in our masonry chimney and it is a surprise. Quote is just over $5700 which is ridiculous considering I can buy the parts for $1800-2000. The height of the chimney is between 25-30ft and the quote includes an insulated flue but no blocking plate. Had a convo over the blocking plate and his response was I don’t normally do that and only insert some insulation.

So now I have to decide how to do it myself which has been what I wanted to do to save some dollars. I am not paying $6k for this, that is nuts. I can get some scaffolding from a friend to and that would be on my deck where the chimney is located so a solid base. Just need to get up high enough and unfortunately getting a scissor lift around that side of the house is a no-go I believe. Also sucks that I will have to move the stove myself into position and have some ideas there but still would be nice to have a second set of hands.

Was their quote for a heavy-duty liner?

If you take your time and do the job right (and safely) you will know it's done right.

Get wheels on the stove to make it much easier to move. After protecting it with a blanket or some cardboard, it can be ratchet strapped to a heavy-duty appliance dolly. We moved our heavy T6 into place in about 15 minutes this way with 2 men and a boy.

Liners are heavier than they look. I had a heck of a time with 25ft of liner. Be careful!
Yeah not looking forward to it really as I am in the middle of prepping and painting the house exterior and had budgeted like $3500-4000 for the flue install. I fell short on that one.

Yeah not looking forward to it really as I am in the middle of prepping and painting the house exterior and had budgeted like $3500-4000 for the flue install. I fell short on that one.
Well, if you by chance are able to do it on your own, it sounds like you’d be able to technically be under budget. If I were in your shoes, knowing what I know after about eight or nine years of being on this forum, I’d absorb as much info as you can ask as many questions as you feel you need to. I’m completely convinced that at this point, I could do a better job of installing my liner, than the pros who did it did.