Flue life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

72Rover

Dec 29, 2011
East VA
I rebuilt my '80 Resolute prior to last heating season. I estimate it has consumed 80 cords since installation 38 years ago. Just swept the flue liner a week ago - corrugated stainless inside a tile-lined flue - and there was surprising;y little creosote. This liner was installed circa 2010, and I was wondering what the expected life of this thing is.

Yeah, I know, a lot of variables....how much, how hot, etc.... As I am getting up in years, I am getting lazier about traipsing out to the woodpile. Also, it's getting warmer - despite claims by some that global warming is a hoax. I really can't think about firing up the trusty Resolute unless it gets near or below freezing, 'cause the stove will run us out of the living room. (It's a small-ish house that's well insulated.) So it's not getting used quite as much as before. There were many a previous winter when only one or two matches might have been used all year long.

When using straight, galvanized steel stove pipe from the corner hardware store, it was replaced every four or so years. The stainless seems much more durable, despite coming coiled up in a box. What is the life of the stuff?

Cheers

I rebuilt my '80 Resolute prior to last heating season. I estimate it has consumed 80 cords since installation 38 years ago. Just swept the flue liner a week ago - corrugated stainless inside a tile-lined flue - and there was surprising;y little creosote. This liner was installed circa 2010, and I was wondering what the expected life of this thing is.

Yeah, I know, a lot of variables....how much, how hot, etc.... As I am getting up in years, I am getting lazier about traipsing out to the woodpile. Also, it's getting warmer - despite claims by some that global warming is a hoax. I really can't think about firing up the trusty Resolute unless it gets near or below freezing, 'cause the stove will run us out of the living room. (It's a small-ish house that's well insulated.) So it's not getting used quite as much as before. There were many a previous winter when only one or two matches might have been used all year long.

When using straight, galvanized steel stove pipe from the corner hardware store, it was replaced every four or so years. The stainless seems much more durable, despite coming coiled up in a box. What is the life of the stuff?

Cheers
If its light wall stainless 20 to 25 yrs. Heavy wall 35 to 40 if they are not abused. But they can be destroyed pretty quick with multiple chimney fires.