Flue Pipe Damper Position

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Well, with thirty odd feet of liner and seasoned oak this F3 CB wants to dance big-time since the outside temp went into the thirties. So I need to put a throttle on this little dude.

What is the proper height on a verticle flue pipe to place a damper? I haven't had an inline damper on a pipe of mine since 1977. Gonna have one by tomorrow night for sure.

mine was about 24" above the stove collar. surprised you've been able to go that long with such a mighty stack attached bb.

BeGreen said:
mine was about 24" above the stove collar. surprised you've been able to go that long with such a mighty stack attached bb.

Previously neither chimney was lined so the draft fairy hadn't been a problem. Since lining both of them this year both stoves have almost been sucked up the chimney. I have to keep my wife's cat from close proximity to the intakes. The Sierra insert may be a lost cause. It was designed to direct dump into a masonry fireplace. They never dreamed somebody would hook a 25' pipe to the top of it.

All these years and it is the learning process all over again.

Thanks!

I dont know if this input does anything for ya but .........

The damper kit that goes on double wall pipe is its own piece of pipe and is around 10" tall and the damper is in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.