Flue pipe question and sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razerface

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2014
Ohio
I took the flue off the stove for the first time, to look and see how I was burning. I have been using a magnetic temp, but thought it was single wall. I find it is double wall, but no insulation between the walls. Still considered double wall right?

I bought the digital temp gauge talked about on another thread, and will install with the 4inch probe.

I wanted to brush my chim from the bottom if poss,,but looking up thru the pipe, I see a double 45turn of the pipe in the attic. Can I sweep thru that from the basement? I am on my way to buy brushes from Farm and Fleet after this post. Will the rods and brush go thru this?

The rods I saw looked awful stiff. I think they were Oregon brand? I could have incorrect memory.

Light grey dust is all I see, but cannot see thru the turns. I would guess 20-25 total length.

Sorry, I meant Tractor Supply,,TSC,, not farm and fleet.

We'll, I'm done. I removed the flue from the stove and cleaned from the bottom. It took 28 ft from the basement ceiling to get the brush to show in the cap. I got maybe 2 cups of grey powder with a few small black chunks mixed in.

Turns out the bends are probably 30 deg,,,since Ohio does not allow 45 deg bends in the chimney. I paid more at a stove shop for 8 ft rods instead of the 3 ft ones so there were less joints to catch on the bends.

Installed the 4 inch probe.

Reactions: PapaDave
You'll normally see more of the black stuff near the cap and in the cap.
Sounds like things are going pretty well.
Yep, double wall stove pipe, rather than dbl wall Class A pipe.
Stove pipe is used before the first ceiling penetration...Class A after.

Status
Not open for further replies.