Flue temp probe ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
I have a Jotul F55 rear vented into my fireplace. I have a Tee connected my to liner, what's the best option to monitor flue temps with my set up? I only have about 8-10" of liner exposed below my block off plate. Ive read that the thermometer should be at 18" which is not possible for my set up.

Any thoughts? How important is it to monitor flue temps?

Thanks

You can put a thermometer on the stub going to the tee. It will read a bit high, but will give you a relative idea.

I'll pick up a new one and give it a shot. I was thinking maybe a probe style so I could mount it on the side to have a clear view of it

I am thinking about picking up an auber and mounting a surfice probe on my liner, anyone have experience doing this? What temps should I be looking for if the probe is mounted around 14" up?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    295 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I am thinking about picking up an auber and mounting a surfice probe on my liner, anyone have experience doing this? What temps should I be looking for if the probe is mounted around 14" up?

I’m thinking about doing the same thing (thanks to a great idea from Bholler). I was wondering about attaching the probe to the flex pipe. I’m thinking that if I have to perforate or drill the side of the flex pipe for mounting the sensor, that I might have smoke spillage from the perforation? Is there another way to attach that doesn’t require a drill-through the pipe? The other option is the magnetic mount, but I think that that particular installation option may make temp readings artificially low...

I am wondering the same thing about attaching it to my liner has anyone done this or have any other ideas on attaching it?

It depends on the installation. They make a ring style thermocouple that you can mount with a screw to the liner adapter. Or maybe it could be held in place between the liner and the adapter by the liner clamp?

This will be surface reading, not probe temps. The surface readings will be a bit high here so it will take some experimenting to know what high point to set the alarm at. Use stove top temp and firebox visuals to guide you. Maybe start at 600º?

Last question, if I take a clamp and attach this 12-14 inches above tee would that be better then attaching it my liner adapter. I know they would be rough numbers which is better then nothing but what should I be looking for as far as low temp, cruising temp, high temp?

Last question, if I take a clamp and attach this 12-14 inches above tee would that be better then attaching it my liner adapter.
I wouldn't do that with a thin liner. Maybe ok with a heavy duty or rigid one. Another option if there is room would be to add a 12" section of rigid 12" liner and drill it to accept a probe thermocouple.

Last edited: