Flue temp probes - who uses them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lbcynya

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2006
W Michigan
I've noticed a couple posts about them, but they often wander to the magnetic version rather quickly... If you have one, speak up about your experiences please. I am a little nervous about drilling into the chimney for obvious reasons, but I'll probably still do it... I have double-wall Duravent and don't have a convienient place to put the magnetic version on my Thelin stove. Thanks.

I am interested in the stove performance and this means knowing surface, stack and even inside temperatures. At this time all I have is a magnetic thermometer but have only owned my stove since August. Ideally I would like to have three thermocouples. I will be interested in what you finally choose.

BTW - my stove is a small Jotul 602 and I am finding to get decent heat from it - it has to be 600+ on the surface.

regards, Mike

I have a magnetic one for my single wall pipe, but if I had double wall I definitely would have a probe. Thermometers are a must if your want to really know whats going on with efficiency.

I use a Condar 3-39 thermometer in the stack and a magnetic thermometer on the stove. The stack temp will respond more quickly than the stove temp, so I can tell at a glance (solid doors) when fire needs attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.