• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Great Island

Sep 15, 2019
New Hampshire
I need to install a hearth beneath my restored 1890 Glenwood 22" wood stove for a house we are renovating. I am told I need a minimum 0.8 R value and if with stone or brick alone that would mean 4". I would like that the hearth be flush or nearly flush with the wood floor and be visibly made of slate or granite. The floor currently consists of the original sub floor, an extra sub floor layer that was added to level the floor, and the 3/4" wood flooring itself. Between the wood flooring and extra layer of sub flooring that can be removed, I could easily come up with 1.5" for the hearth materials and still be flush with the wood floor. Would it be viable to achieve my R value & aesthetic objectives with 1/2" of Fibrax Duraboard LD (or other similar thin High R value material) and 1" of granite or slate on top of the Duraboard? So above the floor beams and joists, there would be 3/4" of old but solid sub floor, 1/2" of Duraboard LD, and then +/- 1" of granite or slate. Crazy, or viable, or there is a better way? Is Duarbaord strong enough for said purpose?

Yes, that would meet the insulation requirement. For a firmer bedding, you could put a sheet of 1/2 Durock cement board on top of the Duraboard and then 1/2" slate on top of that.