Foley 308 for 50 bucks? No chain vise. Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodButcher80

Feeling the Heat
was on the ol craigslist and trampled upon this ad for a foley 308 for 50$ .

heres the ad descr. :

"Foley Model 308 Chainsaw sharpener. Features reversible motor. Motor runs fine. These were very expensive when new and have a great reputation for durability.

Unfortunately, I do not have the chain vise that is used to hold the chain while sharpening. I'm not sure if this can be purchased or not. I have the operation manual and parts list. "

attached below are the pics he sent.
what ya think?
too hard to find chain vise?

Attachments

• 3k63mb3obZZZZZZZZZ9692bc7702fc43f148c.jpg
    3k63mb3obZZZZZZZZZ9692bc7702fc43f148c.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • 3na3k83o0ZZZZZZZZZ969a7c214fd6941113b.jpg
    3na3k83o0ZZZZZZZZZ969a7c214fd6941113b.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,236
well the kicker is i sharpen just fine with my granberg, so if it aint broke..... :)

its just i searched completed auctions for this thing on ebay and they were goin for 125-250$ with missing stuff too . i guess having the reverse on the motor is important.

Got one also, no parts avaiable from Foley, been discontinued a long time. It is not difficult to make your own chain vise, which is what I did for mine. just look at one of the current offerings and more or less copy it. As the methology of this unit requires moving the vise back and forth to use the curvature of the grinding wheel to not damage the strap on the off side, the need for the ball and cup on the bottom of vise is eliminated.

im gonna pass on this. i really dont need it, itll clutter up my bench and i do just fine with my granberg .as long as i apply a good amount of back pressure and up-pressure on the tooth with the file they get real sharp! pferd files stink i think

emailed foley, heres the reply.

"The vice assembly and the individual parts for the 308 vice are
no longer available. We do still have grinding wheels, V belt
and stop fingers for the 308 but that is all."

oh well . its in cleveland cl

Status
Not open for further replies.