For those up North..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well this super cold weather must be doing something to my brain! I've seen the posts on the 100 degree club and really never thought I could join, but I did! _g I just never thought we'd have temps quite low enough to do it. Well this morning we were at -25 here in S. Wisconsin and I reloaded the Oslo and hit 70 in the house, then finally 73 and suddenly it struck me - I only needed 2 more degrees to get in the club ... I raked coals, got some nice dry oak and elm in there and hit the 75 degree mark!

Now it's time for the temps to go back to "normal".

Reactions: firefighterjake
IMG_0173.JPG

-24 this morning, the truck started but it didn't like it. lol

Whenever I have to start an engine when it's really cold like that, it's just plain hard to do - car, truck, tractor, whatever, it just seems so hard on them. After those first few minutes as things start to warm up and things start to sound normal, I breath a sigh of relief.

Have definitely been running through the wood today. Burning mostly ash so far, just started third load today since 7:00am, usually I'm on a three load schedule. After this load, will be adding oak to the mix. Factoring in wind chill, have stayed above the 100-degree differential most of the day.

Well this super cold weather must be doing something to my brain! I've seen the posts on the 100 degree club and really never thought I could join, but I did! _g I just never thought we'd have temps quite low enough to do it. Well this morning we were at -25 here in S. Wisconsin and I reloaded the Oslo and hit 70 in the house, then finally 73 and suddenly it struck me - I only needed 2 more degrees to get in the club ... I raked coals, got some nice dry oak and elm in there and hit the 75 degree mark!

Now it's time for the temps to go back to "normal".

So . . . with half of the winter down . . . how do you like the Oslo? Are you finding it a worthy replacement of the old stove?

So . . . with half of the winter down . . . how do you like the Oslo? Are you finding it a worthy replacement of the old stove?

It sure has! No regrets which is always my goal whenever I buy something. All the more important when this thing weighs over 500#, is expensive, and really must heat my home. :) The thought of needing to swap that stove out for something else would just make me ill, so it is a relief that I got it right. You never really know until it's in the house and you are burning it/loading it/removing ash/etc.

This is not an Oslo commercial, but the stove is so well made, is so attractive, and functions so well that it still makes me smile every time I look at it. And it's really loafing today ... it's 20 degrees out right now rather than the -25 we had on Wednesday and Thursday!!

Besides doing everything that I thought it would, I have had a few nice surprises and one of them is that it holds coals much longer than I had read about. Just this morning I did a re-load on coals at 6:00am and my last load was at 8:00pm last night which was maybe a 3/4 load. That's an honest 10 hours which is more than I need the way I burn. I'm burning a mix of Red Oak and some Elm right now.