For those who have wood inserts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Maybe a crazy idea but how about cutting a hole in the surround and placing a small framed window in its place.The reason for this idea is for some peace of mind if the flue pipe or some other area of the stove which you cant see starts to glow because of a possible overfireing.Free standing stove don't hide problems like a insert can.I monitor my stove with temp readings from my IR gun and magnet temp gauge next to the door,but still wonder that i may to missing something if a problem arises.

Nope, if you got em burn em, the rest of you fire the furnace :cheese:

Well, for starters, you could probably only frame the window with metal. You wouldn't want wood that close to the stove, though I suppose it's certainly 'doable'. A second option (one I chose after the pic in my avatar was taken) - simply make a good block-off plate, cap the top of the flue and chuck the surround. Then you basically have a free-standing install.

Status
Not open for further replies.