Force cold air down to the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spc1947

Mar 2, 2007
Virginia
Ok this has more than likely been done before but I have searched and not found the answer I am looking for. In general, I have a two story cape cod with a full basement. The basement is split down the middle front to back steps run front to back in the middle of the house. Insert on one side garage on the other. If I get a fan /blower and pull air from the first floor floor at the far side of the house in a flex line down into the garage side ceiling, run the flex across the garage and dump it into the other basement half with the insert will this somewhat pressurize the heated side and force the warmer air up the steps to the first floor and then towards the point where I am getting it? This is independent of the HVAC system. I talking in general here.

Conceptually, it seems to make some sense. Usually, garages are on the "cold side" of the structure, so insulating your ducting would likely help. Theoretically.

As soon as I get my fan wired, I'm going to hook up to the register beside my living room stove and blow air OUT of the basement into the living room. By doing so I'm hoping to suck warm replacement air down the basement steps and warm the basement some on those days when we want to go down and play the Wii or whatever.

If the upstairs is too hot, then I get cool, humid air from the basement to moderate temps.
I'll let you know if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.