Ford Corporation Electric Water Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingolf

Oct 30, 2008
Bloomfield, CT
It's now finally cooling season in CT and the blower in my air handler is making strange noises. I called my furnace maintanance company and they came out and found the blower section is bad and needs replacing and that the furnace is the original from 1955 and I should think about replacing it. They are now about to finish the instalation of a new Carier Infinity system, air handler with evap coil and a hydro air heating coil, condenser, Budaris oil fired boiler that will feed the hydro air coil and a new 45 gal super store water heater. They are removing all the old equipment which included two electric water heaters (an 80 gal and a Ford 120 gal stonelined water heater) one of the guys told me that we are probably going to have to leave the Ford where it is as it is to big dimension wise and heavy like 800 + pounds to get out of the cellar. Has anyone had any experience with removing one of these monsters out of your house. Also my steps up the hatchway is very steep.

Also when they removed the furnace they discovered a crack in the heat exchanger that looked like it had been there for a couple of years. Thank God I've been heeting with wood in my Quadrifire 4100i for the last 3 seasons and the furnace dose not come on when the wood stove is burning.

Any input will be appriciated.

Thanks

Brian

You might not want to break up the "stonelined" water heater. If it's from the 1950's, it prolly has asbestos in the lining (which is certainly not stone). Might be why the contractor didn't offer you that option.

Peace,
- Sequoia

I found out later that they included a rigger to come out to take the water heater out. They have equipment to move and get it up the hatchway. But thanks for the quick reply and breaking it up was on my mind to get it out.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.