by pass domestic heat coil on oil boiler with electric water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinten

Feb 3, 2015
pa
Hi.
my fiance and I just moved into a home with a burn ham oil fired burner that has a domestic heat coil. There is a ball valve on the inlet side and the outlet side of the heat coil. What I would like advice on is after I install the electric water heater should I drain the domestic equal should I remove it or just leave it alone. Thank you in advance for your comments and help.

I assume you intend to use the tankless coil in winter and the electric in the summer, correct?

I believe if I remove the lo/diff wire on my aquastat it will turn off the instant coil and I can shut off the water going to it .

I'm no expert, but if you don't drain it, with the new piping and valves, etc, is there a way that the coil could be isolated and be constrained from expansion? Do those coils have a relief valve? I'm not familiar.

I would drain it if you don't intend to use it again, I'd be concerned with the water becoming stagnant and contaminating the water from the tank.
Personally, I would plumb them in parallel and use the tankless coil in winter when the boiler will be in use anyway. Use the electric in summer and shut down the boiler. -Maybe I don't have the whole picture of what you're trying to accomplish.
Another option is an indirect tank heated by the boiler which could have electric also for summer use only.

I would also drain it, rather than leaving water in it.

I believe if I remove the lo/diff wire on my aquastat it will turn off the instant coil and I can shut off the water going to it

I'm not sure what you mean there - you can't turn just the coil off. If the boiler is hot, the coil is hot. Will you be shutting down the boiler when not using it for heat? (summer?)

Yes, shut off boiler in summer and use only electric. Again, I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish though. I suggested coil in winter because it will likely produce more btu/$ than electric when boiler is in use.

The manufacturer may offer a block off plate so you can remove it. I was told that it should be drained but left open. I was also told that at some point it could fail flooding my basement unless I removed it and installed the block off plate. I currently its isolated on the supply side

Status
Not open for further replies.