Found a good deal on a Princess Insert (P1010A), need stove pipe options!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greenback

Nov 22, 2020
Okanagan BC
Hi all!

So I got myself a Princess insert, a few years old but unused! Thats the good news. The bad news is I think venting it properly and to code will be a challenge/ expensive. This is intended to be a back up heat/ supplement the natural gas furnace during cold snaps as my house tends to lose heat quickly.

I have in internal brick style chimney, built in 1980 with the house. It has an open style fireplace on the main floor with clay tile lining(This is where I'd like to install the Princess).

Measurements from the top show 5.5" wide by 13.75" long flue (with a good amount of mortar sticking out between the tiles). Measured 13' 11" down to the damper door. The clay tiles are about 1" thick. Also I believe the opening to get past the damper door from the fireplace is only about 4.5" wide- but I'll have to double check that one.

I live in Canada (Okanagan BC) and would like to get this done to code. I had a wett inspector come by last spring to inspect my chimney and I already know that due to floor joists being too close to the chimney in the basement, apparently I require zero clearance venting. (even though the floor joists would be well over 3 feet away through brick and mortar from any source of heat)

I was hoping to get some options from the knowledgable people here for installing this properly. And if anyone knows of any good wett certified folks around the okanagan they would recommend. The inspector I had last spring was a nice guy but seemed more like a salesman trying to up sell me things. He quoted my over $9000 for a freestanding Blazeking install in the basement!

Thanks for looking
Image-2.jpegImage-3.jpegImage.jpeg

Hi all!

So I got myself a Princess insert, a few years old but unused! Thats the good news. The bad news is I think venting it properly and to code will be a challenge/ expensive. This is intended to be a back up heat/ supplement the natural gas furnace during cold snaps as my house tends to lose heat quickly.

I have in internal brick style chimney, built in 1980 with the house. It has an open style fireplace on the main floor with clay tile lining(This is where I'd like to install the Princess).

Measurements from the top show 5.5" wide by 13.75" long flue (with a good amount of mortar sticking out between the tiles). Measured 13' 11" down to the damper door. The clay tiles are about 1" thick. Also I believe the opening to get past the damper door from the fireplace is only about 4.5" wide- but I'll have to double check that one.

I live in Canada (Okanagan BC) and would like to get this done to code. I had a wett inspector come by last spring to inspect my chimney and I already know that due to floor joists being too close to the chimney in the basement, apparently I require zero clearance venting. (even though the floor joists would be well over 3 feet away through brick and mortar from any source of heat)

I was hoping to get some options from the knowledgable people here for installing this properly. And if anyone knows of any good wett certified folks around the okanagan they would recommend. The inspector I had last spring was a nice guy but seemed more like a salesman trying to up sell me things. He quoted my over $9000 for a freestanding Blazeking install in the basement!

Thanks for looking
View attachment 267441View attachment 267442View attachment 267443
You need an oval insulated liner with a volume equivalent to a 6" liner

Ok thanks, that should fit without having to break the tiles out? Also Im guessing some kind of widening will need to be done by the damper opening? Or maybe I can remove it entirely somehow to get enough clearance?

The nice thing going for you is that its an internal chimney, now just make sure you have the clearance from the chimney to any combustibles on the inside of the house - this means an air gap between wood framing such as rafters, floor joists ect.. if it checks out and your within code for your area a non - insulated oval liner should do the job, just be advised that your more than anyone else will need to burn truly dry wood, you cannot afford any cooler flue gases since your liner is uninsulated and the stack temps are already low with bk stoves to begin with.

Unfortunately the floor joists for the main floor are too close to the chimney, so it will have to be insulated liner. Im going to have to search around to find the oval insulated duraliner, seems hard to find in Canada right now. It will definitely cost me more than the fireplace too.

Unfortunately the floor joists for the main floor are too close to the chimney, so it will have to be insulated liner. Im going to have to search around to find the oval insulated duraliner, seems hard to find in Canada right now. It will definitely cost me more than the fireplace too.
Why not just an oval flex liner? No need to go through the hastle of rigid.

I didn't know that existed, oval insulated flex liner? I'll have to call around.
You may have to wrap it with insulation on site