Found a Jonsered 2159 on craigslist - have some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04RevX

Jul 5, 2008
Western MA
I'm looking for a saw that can handle a 24" bar. Will this saw get that done without problems? I believe its a 60cc motor. He's asking only $125 for it which makes me a little skeptical about the condition. He says its 5 years old and runs great. Looking for any input you guys have about this saw. I have the CS2150 turbo and I love that saw but I need something bigger once and a while.

It should run it fine, I have 4= 2171 and I am running a 36" with a 7 tooth sprocket and a skip tooth chain and it runs it fine. And for $125.00 JUST GET IT!!!!

Rob

I'm going to take a look at it tonight. He might want my Poulan pro as well so that would really sweeten the deal. Since I bought my first J-red the poulan hasn't been run.

Any one else have any input on the 2159? I'm going to look at it on Friday.

What kind of wood are you cutting?
I run a 24 only when I need it on the 372. The 2159 might run it on lighter wood, but I'm not sure if its big enough.
I have run one on a 262 Husky fine for what its worth.

60 cc will run a 24 in bar with skip chain not going to win any races but will get the job done

smokinj said:
60 cc will run a 24 in bar with skip chain not going to win any races but will get the job done

Thats all i'm looking for is to get the job done and not kill my 2150. I mostly cut oak, maple, black/white birch, and pine. Most of the trees are less than 16" in diameter but some of the older growth pushes 24". I could put a 20" bar on if you guys think 24" is too much. I know I don't necessarily need 24", but it would be nice to have those few times.

For $125 why not is what I'm figuring. The add says it needs a new bar anyways (currently has 18" on there). I just hope the thing isn't too beat up for that price. We'll see...

I like a 20, its what I run most of the time. If nothing else the chains are cheaper. I only have 1 chain for the 24 so it only comes out for special occasions. If the saw runs I'd grab it for 125.

04RevX said:
smokinj said:

Thats all i'm looking for is to get the job done and not kill my 2150. I mostly cut oak, maple, black/white birch, and pine. Most of the trees are less than 16" in diameter but some of the older growth pushes 24". I could put a 20" bar on if you guys think 24" is too much. I know I don't necessarily need 24", but it would be nice to have those few times.

For $125 why not is what I'm figuring. The add says it needs a new bar anyways (currently has 18" on there). I just hope the thing isn't too beat up for that price. We'll see...
20 in and that saw will run sweeeeeeet! and a 24 now and again it will make you a great saw.(pro saw to boot)

Well I bought the saw. It needs a thorough cleaning and general maintenance but I think i'm making out pretty well. Started right up but I didn't run it long because the gas is old (2 or 3 years). Clearly it was only used by a homeowner but he didn't really maintain it as well as he should have. Air filter was basically plugged up. The guide bar went straight into the trash. I will post up some pics as soon as its ready to work.

How do I know if this is a cat or non-cat model?

04RevX said:
Well I bought the saw. It needs a thorough cleaning and general maintenance but I think i'm making out pretty well. Started right up but I didn't run it long because the gas is old (2 or 3 years). Clearly it was only used by a homeowner but he didn't really maintain it as well as he should have. Air filter was basically plugged up. The guide bar went straight into the trash. I will post up some pics as soon as its ready to work.

How do I know if this is a cat or non-cat model?
Its a pro saw so i dought there will be a cat.You can take the muffler cover off and have a look!imo i would port it anyway

If the gas is bad enough to dump out take a good look at the fuel line in the tank and fish out the in tank gas filter, its only a couple of bucks and worth a change out.
I'm surprise the air filter is clogged most Jonesreds keep a clean filter.

Dill said:
If the gas is bad enough to dump out take a good look at the fuel line in the tank and fish out the in tank gas filter, its only a couple of bucks and worth a change out.
I'm surprise the air filter is clogged most Jonesreds keep a clean filter.

I was suprised to see how dirty it was too. Its plugged with really fine particles of dust though, nothing big. Probably never been checked since he bought the saw. This saw loves to spin some RPMs. It maxes at almost 14,000 rpms according to jonsered.com. Can't wait to throw some wood at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.